Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups for an SG Special?

EADGBE

The SG special is faded no more and modded to the extent it won't be sold. I've replaced the muddy stock (490T/R) pickups with JB/Jazz combo which was an improvement. The middle position is nice.

Then the standards went up. I recently got a Jeff Tweedy SG that has Maestro and Burstbucker 1 pickups. I tried it for the looks but bought it for the SOUND!!! Now, compared to the Tweedy SG, the SG special (with JB/Jazz) sounds a bit dull, soft, boringand predictable. It's such a player but it needs some pickups to make it inspiring to play (and cut through in the band mix which it never did as well as I wished).

What I'm after is crisp vintage rock sounds, as far as possible from hair metal or hard rock compressed distortion, rather like lively sounds with character of their own.

I play a Tele in the band because it fits best in the mix, but wouldn't mind getting an SG back there too.

I've been thinking about making it a real p-90 guitar, but don't want the hassle right now. P-94 might be an option? What about Pearly Gates pickups? If humbuckers, I'd like to have them 4-wire and zebra coloured.

Any ideas?

I have twin Duncan SH-2 Jazz 4 wire Zebras in my special faded, thanks to Searcy, and his infinite knowledge of cool wiring it is tapped Single/Series/Parallel.

IMHO This is pretty much the best combo, I have never had an issue with lack of high end, or Mix cut through.

I guess it could be that my Marshall Super Lead has no lack of high end, or power.

msp_lol.gif

Pups are tough, sound clips online only give you a vague idea of output tone, and it can get expensive playing the swap out game.

I went with the SH-2's simply for the fact that they are the closest thing you will get to a PAF type tone without selling a kidney for a vintage pair of PAF's

If your looking more toward a P-90 type tone, I would suggest Duncan Phat Cats.

The truth is that each guitar has its own character, and the

good sound comes from wood and quality crafting.

As for the sound you're looking to obtain, I will have to agree

with Joe on the P90s, they're great from the clean sounds and

also have a nice punch and great harmonics if you put some heavy

distortion on. This is a most versatile pickup.

Still, there's another pickup that IMHO fits your use very well,

have you ever tried a diMarzio super distortion (dp100)?

This is a wonderful humbucker, made to be at the bridge.

It has a lot of output, 4 wires so you can use each coil alone

(if you care about that).

Good luck.

...(and cut through in the band mix which it never did as well as I wished).

What I'm after is crisp vintage rock sounds, as far as possible from hair metal or hard rock compressed distortion, rather like lively sounds with character of their own.

I've been thinking about making it a real p-90 guitar, but don't want the hassle right now. P-94 might be an option? What about Pearly Gates pickups? If humbuckers, I'd like to have them 4-wire and zebra coloured.

Any ideas?

P90s are your answer (IMHO). They cut right through and give the versatility without the mud. Super vintage crisp cleans, and cutting edgy crunch when gained up. I LOVE my SG STD w/P90s. nuff said...

It sounds like there's collective consensus on the P90s.

The 'soapbars' are way to go, I have never tried a P94, but if your guitar is made

for humbucker pickups, you might want to have a P94 at the neck position, as it is

quite a surgery, in order for the luthier to fit a soapbar without compromising any

aspects of your guitar (to the neck position), as for the bridge pup, it's a much simpler

'surgery' for the luthier.

Why don't you swap your guitar with someone who already has a couple of soapbars

from factory? I mean, a big fat P90 on the neck position is something that you will

enjoy to use, even if you're a 'bridge' pickup guy like I used to be.

• 1 month later...

Archived