Gibson Brands Forums

LP verses SG part I

daveinspain

It hurts me and probably will get me flamed... but I gotta admit the SG feels more confortable to play with. Just because of the higher fret access.

There are some reasons why I like the les paul more: carved top, flame top (I love plain tops also, but hate how those deluxe SGs with flame look), there's also the balance thing... and of course the shape.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to say this very thing on another thread but here we go.

There something I despise about people around music. It's called comparison. Compariosn are really a must. We need to do that so we can evaluate and judge somethings that NEED to be evaluated. But people go too far. I hate those competitions Fender x Gibson, SG X LP, Clapton X Hendrix, Tele x Strat...

Pointless I say. On the examples I just gave, I love them ALL. EQUALY. I try to enjoy everything, see the highlights and the shortcoming of everything. Why compare apples to oranges? Makes no sense...

Not personal.

There something I despise about people around music. It's called comparison. Compariosn are really a must. We need to do that so we can evaluate and judge somethings that NEED to be evaluated. But people go too far. I hate those competitions Fender x Gibson' date=' SG X LP, Clapton X Hendrix, Tele x Strat...

Pointless I say. On the examples I just gave, I love them ALL. EQUALY. I try to enjoy everything, see the highlights and the shortcoming of everything. Why compare apples to oranges? Makes no sense...

Not personal.[/quote']

Guitar slinger's got the idea way to go.......les paul rocks *cough* *cough* eusa_whistle.gif

There something I despise about people around music. It's called comparison. Compariosn are really a must. We need to do that so we can evaluate and judge somethings that NEED to be evaluated. But people go too far. I hate those competitions Fender x Gibson' date=' SG X LP, Clapton X Hendrix, Tele x Strat...

Not personal.[/quote']

I'm trying to think of a topical group that DOESN'T do this sort of thing. Happens in sickle groups, gun groups, general guitar groups, 4X4 groups, crap, everybody does it.

Now...I wonder which is better...a AAAA top .45 cal. Harley-Davidson LP or a Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Gothic SG.

I'm trying to think of a topical group that DOESN'T do this sort of thing. Happens in sickle groups' date=' gun groups, general guitar groups, 4X4 groups, crap, everybody does it.

Now...I wonder which is better...a AAAA top .45 cal. Harley-Davidson LP or a Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Gothic SG.[/quote']

Agreed. It happens. And it's great when people discuss what they do like and what they don't like about things. I find crappy when they start to tell wich is better. But I guess they have that right.

I'm gonna say what I like about them both.

I love both shapes, design, knobs, everything. I love both weight. I love both tone. I love 50's and 60's necks - especially the 50's. I love their colors.

What could be better in SG: body weight, balance, fatter neck 50's. What would I improve about LP: fret access only.

Where do the SG stands out: It's more raw. It's stubborn. It's a MISTAKE! (what were they thinking when they tough tha this was the answer to improve the LP?) And, finally, It moves me. My first SG an my first LP were both Epi's. I got the SG first and then traded for the LP - in search of more body and thinkin of it as a improvement - and I was extremely happy about it too. But then I started to have dreams where I got to trade them back or steal a SG from the guitar shop.

Where do the LP stands out: Carved top, awesome finishes, weight and 50's neck profile. You can't beat a cherry 59. You just can't, she is the most artistic eletric piece of wood. And the tone is more balanced as well.

To me, there ain't one that is better tha the other. I just hope I can buy a LP someday =)

Agreed. It happens. And it's great when people discuss what they do like and what they don't like about things. I find crappy when they start to tell wich is better. But I guess they have that right.

I'm gonna say what I like about them both.

I love both shapes' date=' design, knobs, everything. I love both weight. I love both tone. I love 50's and 60's necks - especially the 50's. I love their colors.

What could be better in SG: body weight, balance, fatter neck 50's. What would I improve about LP: fret access only.

Where do the SG stands out: It's more raw. It's stubborn. It's a MISTAKE! (what were they thinking when they tough tha this was the answer to improve the LP?) And, finally, It moves me. My first SG an my first LP were both Epi's. I got the SG first and then traded for the LP - in search of more body and thinkin of it as a improvement - and I was extremely happy about it too. But then I started to have dreams where I got to trade them back or steal a SG from the guitar shop.

Where do the LP stands out: Carved top, awesome finishes, weight and 50's neck profile. You can't beat a cherry 59. You just can't, she is the most artistic eletric piece of wood. And the tone is more balanced as well.

To me, there ain't one that is better tha the other. I just hope I can buy a LP someday =)[/quote']

"I'm gonna say what I like about them both."

This makes a great deal more sense than voting on which is the better instrument. And I hope you get your LP sooner rather than later. =P~

While I like being able to play in the upper register on the SG, and I love the way they sound too, I cannot deal with the strap pin on the back and the way the guitar leans away from me. Plus the balance is weird and the headstock wants to fall toward my toes.

Archived