Gibson Brands Forums

9 Model Gibson mandos

The other day I saw a used Gibson A-9 At GC. It was one of the all brown ones. (I noticed the newer ones are sunburst.) Anyway,when I picked it up, the first thing that hit me was how thick the neck was. I play a Rigel G-110 now and the neck on that is not nearly as hefty. I was wondering if the F-9 has the same heft in the neck and if the new As and Fs are similarly so. Or is that a quality exclusively to the A?

Incidently, that A-9 played and sounded quite nice.

• 10 months later...

Two or three years back while at a acoustic workshop I picked up an old Gibson mandolin, (with permission of the owner), just to have a look/see). She told me it was made in 1909, had a bowl back and sides, oval soundhole and sunburst finish. On a one to ten scale I'd give it a nine or ten, it was just that good and had a ver sweet tone. Not the tone a grasser would be looking for but still. She told me that if I wanted it I could have it for $1,000. I wanted it bad enough to pay that price and had the money. I don't know what kept me from buying but I didn't. I've regretted that decision since and in fact have never looked up the price of a "like" mandolin. Just mad at myself I guess. Could have been worth much less or much more, I never took the trouble to find out. Again, I just wanted the instrument. I'll never know.................

Archived