Gibson Brands Forums

Improving the R type Tremolo

demonufo

So, I've had my Spirit GT-pro (left handed) since MusicYo first brought them out, and mostly it's sat in a corner unloved, or in various states of disrepair. It is what it is, and currently has a Kent Armstrong single coil in the middle, and a Seymour Alnico Pro II in the neck, and I still can't decide on a bridge bucker than stops the tone from being as thin as it is currently (with a Seymour Custom Custom)

But my real point is, and the reason the guitar sits in the corner most of the time...

No matter how you set it up (although currently I've got 10's on, and the spring is fully wound up tight to get to pitch so I'll have to get some more 9's in) that tremolo is just too damned stiff to really be of any use. I can't see a way around it without negatively affecting how the instrument will tune up at a glance.

Has anybody managed to come up with a solution to improve these, as the only reason I keep the thing is because of the trem, which currently isn't up to much. Whether simple, or a full on machine shop engineered solution, I'm all ears...

Thanks guys.

No matter how you set it up (although currently I've got 10's on, and the spring is fully wound up tight to get to pitch so I'll have to get some more 9's in) that tremolo is just too damned stiff to really be of any use. I can't see a way around it without negatively affecting how the instrument will tune up at a glance.

The basic stiffness of the R-Trem is - by design - equal to the force counteracting the string tension. However, if the spring is too soft for the choosen string gauge, it will be highly compressed (as you describe it) befor you even start using the trem, just by setting the (lockable) zero position. The only way around this is choosing a stronger spring, which will leave enough room for further compression by using (= downbending) the trem. According to Steinberger World this M62-200 spring is the correct replacement for the R-Trem spring. I found it to be even a little bit softer than the original, so it's most likely not made for you. But with the given (size) parameters, you should be able to find a stronger spring.

When increasing the forces on the whole system, you might also want to consider an upgrade to the parts that carry the complete load of the string tension, i.e. the two pivot posts.

Bernd

Also I'm very interested in purchased the uprated posts (I'm assuming it is your site you linked to), but can't send an email via the link, since I do not have any email client software installed on my computer. :(

I'm in the UK.

Also I'm very interested in purchased the uprated posts (I'm assuming it is your site you linked to), but can't send an email via the link, since I do not have any email client software installed on my computer. :(

I'm in the UK.

Yes, it's my site. I'm not quite sure if I understand the problem correctly… how do you manage to send/receive e-mails at all? Do you use a web based e-mail application? Just right-click on the e-mail link, and you should be able to copy the e-mail address to the clipboard. Go to your web mail application, and paste it there :)

Bernd

Archived