• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

New Photo New Camera, New Photo

#1 User is offline   CowboyBillyBob1 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSouthington, CT

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I recently bought a Nikon DSLR and here is a pic from it. I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to photography. What do you all think?

Posted Image
Paul Edwards

Gibson, Fender, and Martin Guitars.
Fender and Marshall Amps.
Various effects, small amps, and other gear easily purchased at almost any guitar emphorium.

#2 User is offline   AlanH 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I like it, Paul! Looks like a pro shot. [thumbup]

Alan

Guitars:
Yamaha SE350; Gibson SG Faded; Epiphone Wildkat; Charvel USA Pro San Dimas Style 1 -2H; Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbuckers; Ibanez RG 1570 Prestige; Peavey Millenium BXP4 bass

Sold:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus with JB and Jazz; Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe with 490R and 490T; Kramer Pacer Classic 2010

Amps:
Peavey Royal 8 Valve King; Peavey Backstage 50; Ashdown Tourbus 10W bass amp; Zoom H4 recorder/effects

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey (Overdrive); EH Pocket Metal Muff Nano (Distortion); Marshall Regenerator (Modulation); MXR Carbon Copy (Delay); Artec SE-GEQ (EQ/Tuner)

Sound clip: http://soundcloud.co...nhgtr1/alankob2
Video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c9rI5yP4v_k
Club: http://forum.gibson....ker-model-club/
Reviews: Wildkat; Pacer Classic
Useful restringing vid I found: http://www.youtube.c...B&v=Oclc4MHWbzw

#3 User is offline   CowboyBillyBob1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostAlanH, on 10 January 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

I like it, Paul! Looks like a pro shot. [thumbup]

Thanks Alan. I am having a blast taking photos. Far from pro level but getting better.

Thanks again.

I welcome any criticism.
Paul Edwards

Various effects, small amps, and other gear easily purchased at almost any guitar emphorium.

#4 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I like it too. the white/fog vignette works nicely. Good work..! So just one thing I noticed, be aware of your Depth of Field (DOF)

What's in focus and whats out of focus. this can be controlled with the lens aperture. The smaller the aperture, the more depth of field. (more of the entire frame is in focus.)

Notice the toggle switch in your photo? See how it's not quite as crisp (or in focus) as the center of the photo where the focus point was most like angled.

So if you choose a smaller apeture (f8, f11, f16, f22) that will give you more control over DOF or, more of the frame that's in focus verses say f2.8 or 3.5 beyond the where the camera actually focus the shot.

(the bigger the f # the smaller the aperture opening. the smaller the aperture, the greater the DOF will be)

The down side of this is the smaller the aperture, the less light that is coming thru to the censor, and the longer the exposure will need to be. If you have a tripod, use it and go for the settings that offer you the greatest DOF for close ups like this, Also, use either a remote trigger or set your timer so you are not touching/disturbing the camera during the exposure.

For example, using available light I set this Exposure @30 seconds f/10
Posted Image

so this is really about experimenting till you get the hang of what you are looking for

some photos just need more DOF, Like when shooting landscapes for sure, max. DOF is usually your goal, but portraits, it's the opposite, you want the background out of focus so the person is the main subject in the picture. Objects in the back ground that are more or less in focus, will distract the eye from the person.

Lots of trial and error.. thankfully in the digital age, you just delete the duds, back in the days of film, you had to pay for those to be developed and printed..

#5 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Very Nice!

Does yer wife know you wrapped that filthy camera in her good silk?

rct

#6 User is offline   CowboyBillyBob1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I hope you don't mind Kidblast but I gave your photo a little tweak.

Posted Image
Paul Edwards

#7 User is offline   Lurch 

• Slacker
  • LocationHuntington Beach, CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

No offense CBB, but I very much prefer Kidblast's photo.

When you "tweak" a jpeg image, you are going to get artifacts such as noise like yours did.

Want to know a good place to go to learn more about you camera and post processing?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

Lots of good folks there.

Congrats on your Nikon.

I'm a Canon guy, but between the two brands, it's like Ford vs Chevy.
Mike

#8 User is offline   CowboyBillyBob1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostPingPongBob, on 10 January 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

No offense CBB, but I very much prefer Kidblast's photo.

When you "tweak" a jpeg image, you are going to get artifacts such as noise like yours did.

Want to know a good place to go to learn more about you camera and post processing?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

Lots of good folks there.

Congrats on your Nikon.

I'm a Canon guy, but between the two brands, it's like Ford vs Chevy.

Thanks for your insight. I was trying to bring out the detail in the pickguard as well as a truer color of the guitar. I only had his posted pic to work with. Would be better if I had it RAW.

I will be sure to check out the link you posted.
Paul Edwards

#9 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex
  • LocationIn this country town, where the laughter sounds........

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Congrats on the new Nikon. Looking good. Which Nikon did you get? Great photo, of a great guitar. I just got a different Nikkor lens for my Nikon today. This is from today.

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   CowboyBillyBob1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

View Postgsgbass, on 10 January 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Congrats on the new Nikon. Looking good. Which Nikon did you get? Great photo, of a great guitar. I just got a different Nikkor lens for my Nikon today. This is from today.

Posted Image

Love that bass and the photo is cool as well.

I bought a D3200 and some other lenses. I have been shooting in aperture mode mostly. This makes it easier to control the depth of field. I intentionally had the pickup switch out of focus. The main thing I was after was the flame on the top.

After playing with the D3200 for a while I am getting the bug for the just released D5200. This can be an expensive hobby! Would eventually like to move up to a full format body (FX) but the cheapest one is $2000.00 (D600)for the body only. Think I will wait and see if this is just a passing fancy.

What are you shooting and what lens did you just get?
Paul Edwards

#11 User is offline   4Hayden 

• Just Jerking Your Chain

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostCowboyBillyBob1, on 10 January 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

I recently bought a Nikon DSLR and here is a pic from it. I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to photography. What do you all think?

Posted Image

Guitar looks slick as a onion

#12 User is offline   Kennis 

• Goldmember
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

The blurring/whitening effect around the sides is a little much, but you've captured the finish beautifully! [thumbup]
2012 Gibson Midtown Custom w/BKP "The Mule"s + Jimmy Page wiring
2011 Gibson Flying V "Tremolo" w/Floyd Rose (current setup a Frankenstein or various spare parts)
2003 Gibson Flying V Faded w/stock neck pup and '81 Zebra Dirtyfingers in the bridge
2000 Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic w/Burstbucker 2 & 3

Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60
Orange 2x12 Cab

#13 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostCowboyBillyBob1, on 10 January 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

I hope you don't mind Kidblast but I gave your photo a little tweak.

Posted Image

naw I don't mind at all BillyBob

/Ray

#14 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex
  • LocationIn this country town, where the laughter sounds........

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

My Nikon body is a D7000. I like the D7000, because it has two SD card slots in it. I use the second SD for either backup of the first SD, or if I do a video, it goes on the second SD. That way I keep the still pics, and the videos separated. I shot the SG Std. with the AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR. I was just using the on body flash for it.

Yes, you're so right about photography being expensive. What ever lens you get, put a decent filter on it to protect it. My AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm, has a Tiffen 72mm UV HAZE 1 that I keep on it. There are plenty of good filters on the market. I just happen to like the Tiffen filters, and the UV HAZE 1. Take more pics of your Axe, and show us. [thumbup]

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenter of the USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I've had Nikon 35mm SLRs help me make a living for around 40 years. Various other brands and film sizes before that...

I agree that the Nikon vs. Canon is kinda a Ford-Chevy thing, although I'd tend to suggest instead that it's more Caddie-Lincoln. <grin>

On the other hand, I've also made something of a brag that I can get a publication quality photo of about anything with a grocery store camera if necessary. I've used several phone cams that have been easily sufficient quality for a "page one" newspaper color photo.

So... I guess that above statement is more a suggestion that with a cupla different pieces of glass and a lot of playing, there's no real need to spend $20,000 on camera equipment unless you have a specific need for making a living or you've got plenty of extra cash laying around.

A reeeeally nice thing about digital is that you can shoot forever and, if documented, you can do a lot of self-teaching far more easily than back in the wet darkroom era. And a lot less expensively. Laugh at this, but my first published color photo was for a cookbook tabloid full page shot - with a Speed Graphic. Today I could do pretty much the same shot with my telephone. <grin> Mostly I shot b/w from '65-85, both .35 and 2 1/4. Then mostly color of various sorts.

OTOH, I find that I don't really do anything with PhotoShop that I haven't done in a wet darkroom including unsharp masks....

I'll add, "have fun with a great little camera." I'm also convinced that your "pro-am" type camera probably has a better shutter and overall control than stuff I used for a living 25 years ago... It just won't take the beating.

m

#16 User is offline   trelf 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Posted Image

Very nice :)
Traumitized as a child in the 80s by "grease and dirty dancing" means I now have an unhealthy appetite for Steve Vai :0)

#17 User is offline   RaysEpiphone 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Posted Image

Interesting, is that a chair it resting on? Looks washed out at the bottom.
Lots of video's with me playing music as well as some of my favorite song's here at Youtube
https://www.youtube....iew=1&flow=grid

#18 User is offline   Tman 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMalibu, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Great job with the new nikon. The flame on that LP looks like a bengal tiger!
I personally don't like the white borders on photos but it's a personal dislike, I think the quality of your photo is outstanding (as is your guitar).

#19 User is offline   kaleb 

• Smart *** #1
  • LocationIN THE OZONE....

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Don't touch it! Don't even look at it! Haha...

I've always found photography interesting (and hot female photographers!), but I don't dabble in it. Maybe someday. I love all forms of art and consider myself an artistic person, but I can't do a lot of it. I can't paint for ****, can't draw those great portraits and stilllifes (even people), not really good with value and space, don't really do photography. I'm a doodler. I love to draw comics and cartoons. I'm also decent with computer graphics (as long as the damn software works properly!), and I consider myself a good writer (penminship isn't the greatest, though). And I'm a musician first and foremost.

Ok, enough about me, let's look at these beautiful pictures!
"Let me tell you my story....I got a man-size predicament, and it's a big one...and it goes like this...yeah..."

Take a Gibson Les Paul, throw a DiMarzio Super Distortion in it, plug it into a Marshall amp and turn it up to 10. It's pretty much a no brainer!- Ace ****in' Frehley
I don't see why we have to go through all the bullshit of high school just to be musicians- Alex Lifeson
It doesn't matter how fast you can play or how many chords you know, if you can't play the blues, go the **** home you ain't worth nothin'- Richie Scarlet
Critics love Elvis Costello because they all look like him- David Lee Roth

Ace is God- Dimebag Darrell (RIP. 1966-2004)
Like is too strong a word...I don't really like anybody- Chris DeNicola (I love Road Rants)
You can keep the drugs, I'll take the sex and the rock n' roll- Paul Stanley
Thanks..I like to play...- Garth Algar (AKA Dana Carvey)

And most importantly....**** OFF ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME! (Gene Simmons, Eddie Trunk, and anyone who matters)

#20 User is offline   CowboyBillyBob1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thanks to all for your great comments. I can see now how I can improve this shot. I'll post my efforts in a day or so.
This is a lot of fun to do.
Paul Edwards

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users