Gibson Brands Forums

New Photo

CowboyBillyBob1

I like it too. the white/fog vignette works nicely. Good work..! So just one thing I noticed, be aware of your Depth of Field (DOF)

What's in focus and whats out of focus. this can be controlled with the lens aperture. The smaller the aperture, the more depth of field. (more of the entire frame is in focus.)

Notice the toggle switch in your photo? See how it's not quite as crisp (or in focus) as the center of the photo where the focus point was most like angled.

So if you choose a smaller apeture (f8, f11, f16, f22) that will give you more control over DOF or, more of the frame that's in focus verses say f2.8 or 3.5 beyond the where the camera actually focus the shot.

(the bigger the f # the smaller the aperture opening. the smaller the aperture, the greater the DOF will be)

The down side of this is the smaller the aperture, the less light that is coming thru to the censor, and the longer the exposure will need to be. If you have a tripod, use it and go for the settings that offer you the greatest DOF for close ups like this, Also, use either a remote trigger or set your timer so you are not touching/disturbing the camera during the exposure.

For example, using available light I set this Exposure @30 seconds f/10

Broadway3-small_zps5b0212ed.jpg

so this is really about experimenting till you get the hang of what you are looking for

some photos just need more DOF, Like when shooting landscapes for sure, max. DOF is usually your goal, but portraits, it's the opposite, you want the background out of focus so the person is the main subject in the picture. Objects in the back ground that are more or less in focus, will distract the eye from the person.

Lots of trial and error.. thankfully in the digital age, you just delete the duds, back in the days of film, you had to pay for those to be developed and printed..

No offense CBB, but I very much prefer Kidblast's photo.

When you "tweak" a jpeg image, you are going to get artifacts such as noise like yours did.

Want to know a good place to go to learn more about you camera and post processing?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

Lots of good folks there.

Congrats on your Nikon.

I'm a Canon guy, but between the two brands, it's like Ford vs Chevy.

No offense CBB, but I very much prefer Kidblast's photo.

When you "tweak" a jpeg image, you are going to get artifacts such as noise like yours did.

Want to know a good place to go to learn more about you camera and post processing?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

Lots of good folks there.

Congrats on your Nikon.

I'm a Canon guy, but between the two brands, it's like Ford vs Chevy.

Thanks for your insight. I was trying to bring out the detail in the pickguard as well as a truer color of the guitar. I only had his posted pic to work with. Would be better if I had it RAW.

I will be sure to check out the link you posted.

Congrats on the new Nikon. Looking good. Which Nikon did you get? Great photo, of a great guitar. I just got a different Nikkor lens for my Nikon today. This is from today.

564flagTH1.jpg

Congrats on the new Nikon. Looking good. Which Nikon did you get? Great photo, of a great guitar. I just got a different Nikkor lens for my Nikon today. This is from today.

564flagTH1.jpg

Love that bass and the photo is cool as well.

I bought a D3200 and some other lenses. I have been shooting in aperture mode mostly. This makes it easier to control the depth of field. I intentionally had the pickup switch out of focus. The main thing I was after was the flame on the top.

After playing with the D3200 for a while I am getting the bug for the just released D5200. This can be an expensive hobby! Would eventually like to move up to a full format body (FX) but the cheapest one is $2000.00 (D600)for the body only. Think I will wait and see if this is just a passing fancy.

What are you shooting and what lens did you just get?

My Nikon body is a D7000. I like the D7000, because it has two SD card slots in it. I use the second SD for either backup of the first SD, or if I do a video, it goes on the second SD. That way I keep the still pics, and the videos separated. I shot the SG Std. with the AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR. I was just using the on body flash for it.

Yes, you're so right about photography being expensive. What ever lens you get, put a decent filter on it to protect it. My AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm, has a Tiffen 72mm UV HAZE 1 that I keep on it. There are plenty of good filters on the market. I just happen to like the Tiffen filters, and the UV HAZE 1. Take more pics of your Axe, and show us. [thumbup]

564Arm1.jpg

I've had Nikon 35mm SLRs help me make a living for around 40 years. Various other brands and film sizes before that...

I agree that the Nikon vs. Canon is kinda a Ford-Chevy thing, although I'd tend to suggest instead that it's more Caddie-Lincoln. <grin>

On the other hand, I've also made something of a brag that I can get a publication quality photo of about anything with a grocery store camera if necessary. I've used several phone cams that have been easily sufficient quality for a "page one" newspaper color photo.

So... I guess that above statement is more a suggestion that with a cupla different pieces of glass and a lot of playing, there's no real need to spend $20,000 on camera equipment unless you have a specific need for making a living or you've got plenty of extra cash laying around.

A reeeeally nice thing about digital is that you can shoot forever and, if documented, you can do a lot of self-teaching far more easily than back in the wet darkroom era. And a lot less expensively. Laugh at this, but my first published color photo was for a cookbook tabloid full page shot - with a Speed Graphic. Today I could do pretty much the same shot with my telephone. <grin> Mostly I shot b/w from '65-85, both .35 and 2 1/4. Then mostly color of various sorts.

OTOH, I find that I don't really do anything with PhotoShop that I haven't done in a wet darkroom including unsharp masks....

I'll add, "have fun with a great little camera." I'm also convinced that your "pro-am" type camera probably has a better shutter and overall control than stuff I used for a living 25 years ago... It just won't take the beating.

m

Great job with the new nikon. The flame on that LP looks like a bengal tiger!

I personally don't like the white borders on photos but it's a personal dislike, I think the quality of your photo is outstanding (as is your guitar).

Don't touch it! Don't even look at it! Haha...

I've always found photography interesting (and hot female photographers!), but I don't dabble in it. Maybe someday. I love all forms of art and consider myself an artistic person, but I can't do a lot of it. I can't paint for ****, can't draw those great portraits and stilllifes (even people), not really good with value and space, don't really do photography. I'm a doodler. I love to draw comics and cartoons. I'm also decent with computer graphics (as long as the damn software works properly!), and I consider myself a good writer (penminship isn't the greatest, though). And I'm a musician first and foremost.

Ok, enough about me, let's look at these beautiful pictures!

I like it too. the white/fog vignette works nicely. Good work..! So just one thing I noticed, be aware of your Depth of Field (DOF)

What's in focus and whats out of focus. this can be controlled with the lens aperture. The smaller the aperture, the more depth of field. (more of the entire frame is in focus.)

Notice the toggle switch in your photo? See how it's not quite as crisp (or in focus) as the center of the photo where the focus point was most like angled.

So if you choose a smaller apeture (f8, f11, f16, f22) that will give you more control over DOF or, more of the frame that's in focus verses say f2.8 or 3.5 beyond the where the camera actually focus the shot.

(the bigger the f # the smaller the aperture opening. the smaller the aperture, the greater the DOF will be)

The down side of this is the smaller the aperture, the less light that is coming thru to the censor, and the longer the exposure will need to be. If you have a tripod, use it and go for the settings that offer you the greatest DOF for close ups like this, Also, use either a remote trigger or set your timer so you are not touching/disturbing the camera during the exposure.

But aperture is only one factor in determining DOF. Other factors are focal length and subject distance (and sensor size). His image does not have exif data so we don't know what focal length he was at. But it is obvious that he was very close to the subject. For him to have gotten much more dof he would had to of REALLY stopped down, if he even could have stopped down enough to get complete front to back in focus, which is doubtful. But to stop down that much he would then run into diffraction issues which would defeat the purpose of stopping down.

Looking at this image I am completely ok with the very slight out of focus toggle switch. Where it is at in the image that doesn't bother me.

If anything the reflection at the bottom of the guitar bothers me a little bit. But it is still a nice photograph. Plus, it looks like a match to my LP Studio so I'm partial [thumbup]

I reshot the LP and tried to make it better. More is in focus and I reduced the white border.

LPnew_zps1616be19.jpg

STOP IT! You're killing me looking at that beautiful AXE! To me, that is a really nice photo of a beautiful LP. Looking Good. What lens did you shoot that one with?

STOP IT! You're killing me looking at that beautiful AXE! To me, that is a really nice photo of a beautiful LP. Looking Good. What lens did you shoot that one with?

The camera is a Nikon D3200 and I used an AF-S 50mm f1.8G. It is an inexpensive lens but is one of their best prime lenses. Some people actually prefer it over the 50mm 1.4 at a much higher price.

I used aprture mode at 1/60 second shutter speed and an f8 setting. I also used a speedlight flash pointed at the ceiling to reduce any reflection of the flash on the guitar.

I think I should have done better with the stuff in the background buy hey I am not a pro at all. Been doing this photography stuff for a little over a month. It is way too much fun to do.

Oh... the guitar is a 2012 LP Standard.

Archived