Gibson Brands Forums

2012 Les Paul Studio Limited - Robot

aquaman

Hello to all...

Just wondering if anyone had a clever answer to this question since customer support via e-mail has gotten me no response, and via phone, the information was incorrect...

Just picked up a 2012 Les Paul Studio limited. Guitar showed up in prefect condition, works well...

The problem I have is with the RIP (Robot Interface pack). The kit came with a Firewire 400 Cable and thats it... When I finally got the correct fire wire cables (Firewire 800 to firewire 400) I was expecting the firewire port to power the RIP (Similar to a USB device), but as i read further, the RIP needs a power adaptor which was not included with the guitar.

Can anyone late me know if they've encountered the same problem and how you managed to get around this.

Thanks.

This guitar was picked up from Musicians Friends. Beautiful guitar, plays well... BUT... This RIP interface is starting to get me upset.

reading the forums and other documentation, I now realize that it must be powered, BUT... there was no power supply included, obviously an over sight on Gibsons part.

This is the response I got from Customer service (Which I'm quickly realizing is not the best in the world).

"The power supply that was provided operates both charging ports." (Which is obviously wrong). Sent repeated e-mails with no reply...

Would anyone happen to know the correct voltage and amperage for the Power supply??

It would be a shame if I had to return this beautiful guitar

RIP is not bus-powered. You need the AC adapter. You can't "get around it".

Did you buy this guitar new from a dealer or was it a private sale?

That was the case with the Dark fire, but with the 2010 robot guitars and onward (Like mine), its no longer the case... There is a seperate 12Vdc adaptor needed.

Its the same wallwart that powers the battery charger that came with your guitar.Its plugs into both , one at a time of course.

• 3 weeks later...

That was the case with the Dark fire, but with the 2010 robot guitars and onward (Like mine), its no longer the case... There is a seperate 12Vdc adaptor needed.

Its the same wallwart that powers the battery charger that came with your guitar.Its plugs into both , one at a time of course.
I just tried mine ,The same charger works for both.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello to all...

Just wondering if anyone had a clever answer to this question since customer support via e-mail has gotten me no response, and via phone, the information was incorrect...

Just picked up a 2012 Les Paul Studio limited. Guitar showed up in prefect condition, works well...

The problem I have is with the RIP (Robot Interface pack). The kit came with a Firewire 400 Cable and thats it... When I finally got the correct fire wire cables (Firewire 800 to firewire 400) I was expecting the firewire port to power the RIP (Similar to a USB device), but as i read further, the RIP needs a power adaptor which was not included with the guitar.

Can anyone late me know if they've encountered the same problem and how you managed to get around this.

Thanks.

The RIP power supply is the same one you use for the charger pack. The 12V one.

Archived