Gibson Brands Forums

Robot intonation y

ThisLifeILead

hi Guys, first post here at the Gibson forums. I bought a 2008 Gibson SG silverburst Robot from a coworker a few years back. It has been great to me...until now

i hate to admit it but i have only changed the strings once and i replaced them with the exact gauge i believe 10-46? The other day at Jams my friend was playing the robot and broke a string.... ok well i guess it was due for some new strings... i cleaned her all up and oiled the fretboard and i installed a slightly thcker gauge, 10-49 or something around there. Im at work and dont have the package handy. but anyways. i strung it up and thought hey the intonation was pretty close. i adjusted it according to the intonation mode on the MCK... so i plug it in and i can clearly hear its not properly intonated. so i thought i chanegd the string gauge i better "calibrate the machine heads"... well after that i adjusted the intonation again.. it was way off now. Adjusted it and the MCK was said it was good. well it wasnt. i went back into intonation mode, adjusted accordingly. still out. i did this 3 times and everytime i go back to intonation mode its out on a few strings... does anyone have a system to get it to work? or do i just have to keep fiddling/repeating the process until everytime i go into the intonation mode it reads good?

I cursed my buddy who broke the string. lol. i have had no complaints until this happened to me. I loved not having to carry a tuner around.

ALSO if i just intonate it with my boss TU-2 pedal will the MCK system still be able to tune properly?

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i was but it read no where to continue to check intonation. Im just going to do it manually like normal. thank you :-)

10-46 is the gauge.

My assumption is you need a bridge adjustment. Go low E first. have the Saddle in the middle 3rd of bridge. Now adjust the bridge screws until you get it intoned. Now do the same for the High E. Now restart. Check low E make sure it in the ball park, do same for high E. Now intone the guitar. If the Low E and High E are setup properly all the other strings will easily Intone.

Low E is the worst to itune on a low action. If the action is too low you will know because it will buzz play a pentatonic. You will know. Low action on E string = bad. If it does buzz, it also means intoning it is hit or miss. 50% of time it will say it is intone. 50% of time it will say it is way off. To fix this, you will need a Luthiar. Have him adjust the neck. Do not do it yourself. Make sure to give him the manual for the guitar, and explain the tuning pegs. Most non-gibson service centers will not know the important things about a robot. Like don't touch the tuning pegs unless they all out. They will assume it is just a les paul style.

Anyway. I only say this because I had a similar problem. Action went to low on E string after switching gauges. Buzz would occur, intone for that string wouldn't work, or was hit and miss.

You will know your guitar is intone properly if you try and play some harmonics. If you can't hit them "but know how, if you don't this is not the time to learn" you should see a luthier. You don't need a tuner to tell you anything. If the harmonics play it plays, If it doesn't you got issues.

• 2 months later...

I always Intonate the guitars the traditional way. Calibration for string gauge is the second step. I know the Robots have a system that it is supposed to tell you how far to adjust intonation, but it's too fiddly for my tastes.

Calibration is so the guitar gets the tension right on the strings.

Once you find a string set you like, buy a bulk pack. Webstrings or a Luther bulk box is my preferred venue.

Thus, the tension is consistent (well pretty close) across the sets, so you need not recalibrate.

I run "11's" on all my electric guitars... and enjoy the loud output and low action.

Archived