Gibson Brands Forums

Is this for real?

merseybeat1963

Just joking..

Unusual Cutom made one when cutom made was not so common.

I love that fingerboard wood wow!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Gibson-Hank-Snow-Vintage-Jumbo-One-of-One-GIA0045-/330776336191?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d03ce573f

Yes, Gary's had that one for some time -- it's a cool, iconic guitar. One of Canada's first really big country stars -- Hank Snow.

Fred

so is the guitar being offered a reissue or custom built to that spec or is it supposed to be, "the one?"

I found the record in a store a few weeks ago and after staring at it for a while I took a picture, it love that guitar.

the thing that jumps out at me is the bridge/saddle on the one offered is a relatively standard J200 bone or synthetic saddle whereas the one on the album cover has the full-on adjustable bridge which i think they were trying to make work in the 60s.

There are a bunch of weird things i really like about that guitar, the heavy brass adjustable saddle isn't one of them. I'm just not sure what the guy's offering.

[tongue]

...so is the guitar being offered a reissue or custom built to that spec or is it supposed to be, "the one?"...

Interesting...

I'm certainly no expert but unless several things have been swapped over the guitar on offer is not the one on the record sleeve.

Check out the pickguard for starters. The one on offer has, nearest the upper bout area, a butterfly and two stalks of cereal/grass(?) with seven 'clumps' per stalk. On the 'sleeve' guitar one stalk has seven and the other has nine...

The p/g also meets the fingerboard at a different point; the sunburst shading areas don't match and some of the 'board inlay work isn't in exactly the same place. The 'board itself looks to be a very different slab of rosewood. Different bridge has already been mentioned.

Judging by the checking, though (treble-side upper bout binding), the one being offered is hardly a new instrument. A closed 'b' and 'o' peghead logo suggests to me very late '60s/early '70s?

P.

also, if you look at those pictures closely there is 0 (aka: ZERO) break angle over that saddle.

This is a classic problem with the four-ribbon moustache bridge, since the saddle is so far away forward of the pins. Normal saddle height gives poor break angle.

Generally, you see the best break angle with the old-fashioned rectangular bridge:

colosipins-1.jpg

so is the guitar being offered a reissue or custom built to that spec or is it supposed to be, "the one?"

The original is in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville.

When I think of the Gibsons I could buy if I had and wanted to spend that kinda scratch this particular guitar ain't even going to get a passing glance.

That's a lot of money for a reissue or a replica.

Doesn't appear to be the same guitar as on the album cover.

So maybe it's a Monarch?

Hank Snow was a great musician.....and I've seen him with several different J200's, (at least I THOUGHT they were J-200's).

1960's Gibson Hank Snow, Cherry Sunburst, Extremely rare, Custom made, The only one ever made, Absolutely amazing woods and features! EC+, $27,900

So there's one in the Country Music Hall of Fame and the one for sale on fleaBay . . . I'm no math expert, but I think that's two, not one.

Along with the other incongruities mentioned here, for $27K, Gary's ought to re-word the sales text on that and explain the instrument better.

Archived