Gibson Brands Forums

From The Kalamazoo Gals Facebook Page

JuanCarlosVejar

here is something from the KG's facebbok :

http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/05/10/news/doc4fab3de618df0673176083.txt?viewmode=fullstory

at the very bottom of the link a video will appear =D .

John if you see this . can you post a list of the models that were sent to Montana for analysis (again) I remember you put it in a previous post but can't find it . thanks

JC

here is something from the KG's facebbok :

http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/05/10/news/doc4fab3de618df0673176083.txt?viewmode=fullstory

at the very bottom of the link a video will appear =D .

John if you see this . can you post a list of the models that were sent to Montana for analysis (again) I remember you put it in a previous post but can't find it . thanks

JC,

Thanks! I'd forgotten about that video. That LG-1, one of my all time favorite guitars, is one of the guitars slated for the reissue project. We used all 4 of the reissue guitars in the sessions for the companion CD. I chose 4 that I thought were 1) fantastic guitars 2) they'd not been reissued before. Here they are:

Here they are:

1) That 1943 LG-1. These are the ultra rare, X-braced, all mahogany LGs with the multiple purflings front and back and fancy rosettes that graced all first year Banners (begun in 1942 and shipped in 1943). A pic:

CIMG5490.JPG

2) 1942 J-45. Like the LG, this first year model has the multiple purflings front and back and fancy rosette and hasn't been reissued before.

3) 1944 maple J-45. Again, not reissued before.

4) 1943 SJ. This is from the single batch, FON 2735, with broad purflings (a double dose of the purflings used only on the SJ-100) and not reissued before. (It's also the only Banner Gibson that was reinspected by the original WWII inspector!). A pic:

2548739530033810361bHtYfV_fs.jpg

All details will go public in Seattle on Feb. 16.

thanks John . did gibson use some of the cat scans you had done ?

As a lefty I haven't really seen any war time gibsons so these reissues might be as close as I will get =) .

look forward to see them in the summer . good luck with the tour and the book

JC,

Yes, I sent x-rays of the guitars, too. Gibson has also done a lot of interesting analytical work on the guitars.

Thanks for the kind words.

JT,

When I was in Glasgow last week, I was in GuitarGuitar, website guitarguitar.co.uk, as well as trying out loads of guitars, I mentioned your book project and the details that were here on the forum, one of the more senior guys there gave the impression it's something they might be interested in stocking, given they do have a 'guitar interest' section within the books they stock. It's maybe worth you contacting them... might be a bit 'small fry', I'm not sure, but, I thought it worth mentioning anyway.

JT,

When I was in Glasgow last week, I was in GuitarGuitar, website guitarguitar.co.uk, as well as trying out loads of guitars, I mentioned your book project and the details that were here on the forum, one of the more senior guys there gave the impression it's something they might be interested in stocking, given they do have a 'guitar interest' section within the books they stock. It's maybe worth you contacting them... might be a bit 'small fry', I'm not sure, but, I thought it worth mentioning anyway.

Parlorman,

Thanks for the tip!

Small fry is good! My whole marketing scheme is small fry. My big goal in life is to sell enough copies of the book and CD that I'll cover my costs.

Thanks, again,

I've got a 1943 SJ which I'll be taking to my book talks. An apparently untrained Gal glued the X-brace nearly an inch off center.

So, there's great vintage precedent for the misplacement of elements of these guitars. A misplaced pickguard will be the least of your worries. :)

Archived