Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson SG

Voodoo Monkey

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh it JUST arrived about an hour ago... I admired it a little... looked over it real good... plugged it in...

It was love at first pluck. Seriously I was concerned about spending $1300 on a guitar but that just flew out the window and now I am just sitting here smiling and I am thankful I have no neighbors close enough to care about. Maybe that just means I need a much bigger amp so they can share in my joy?

Because it happened [biggrin]

I noticed the tuners on it say "Kluson Deluxe" and not "Gibson Deluxe". Is that a 2013 thing or have they been doing that a while? I know back in the day they had Kluson then switched to Gibson but I didn't know if this was sort of a tribute to the past or just a switch they made in recent years.

W8nZyZt.jpg

I noticed the tuners on it say "Kluson Deluxe" and not "Gibson Deluxe". Is that a 2013 thing or have they been doing that a while? I know back in the day they had Kluson then switched to Gibson but I didn't know if this was sort of a tribute to the past or just a switch they made in recent years.

W8nZyZt.jpg

She's a real "Black Beauty," in her own right, Catatonick! Enjoy!!! [thumbup]

CB

W8nZyZt.jpg

Beautiful guitar, just like mine. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

How is the back, and the horn tapering, on this? Like the '61, or less?

The front beveling, between the horns and neck, looks good! Can't really

see the contouring, very well, on the edges of the body. Is it wider, like

the '61 or the "Original?"

Just curious, if they went all the way, and tapered the horns, as well? :-k

CB

The finish is flawless by the way the white speck is fuzz from the case.

x37pJVH.jpg

Thanks, that's what I wanted to see...and, the tapering of the horns seems

evident, as well as the slant, of the upper part of the back (toward the horns)

as is the case on the '61's. COOL! SO GLAD, to see Gibson getting back to

the specs, that made the 60's SG's so iconic! And, comfortable to play, and

awesome to look at, as well. [thumbup][biggrin]

Now, if they'll only continue that trend, to the Specials, and Jr....all would

be right, with SG's, again! [biggrin]

CB

I can't believe I am finally saying this but I have my very first Gibson on the way. I ordered one of these a couple days ago and it should be here tomorrow or Friday.

I am a relative beginner but I figure if you are going to do it, do it right. I ordered a SG Standard, a Roland Micro Cube, a few packs of brite wires, some Tortex .73mm in black to match the ebony, a pair of Sennheiser headphones, and a few of the "necessities" as well as a copy of Rocksmith because it was only $37 and it will let me connect to the PC or Mac. I figure this should be a pretty good starting point to get into playing very seriously. I am tired of watching videos and thinking "I wish I could do that." I decided it is time to just learn to do it and make my own.

It is killing me having to wait.

Catatonick. That's how I got started. I bought a cheap $80 epi sg special used, and practiced on Rocksmith, definitely got me going and interested in it. After maybe 6 months of playing you should try and get some guitar lessons just so you can learn some foundations and also have the instructor spot any bad habits you are picking up and correct them.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to see...and, the tapering of the horns seems

evident, as well as the slant, of the upper part of the back (toward the horns)

as is the case on the '61's. COOL! SO GLAD, to see Gibson getting back to

the specs, that made the 60's SG's so iconic! And, comfortable to play, and

awesome to look at, as well. [thumbup][biggrin]

Now, if they'll only continue that trend, to the Specials, and Jr....all would

be right, with SG's, again! [biggrin]

CB

I own a SG 61 and the other day I was at a Guitar Center and they had the 2013 SG's on display. As far as I can tell, the weight and sound of the guitar is the same, They have bevelled horns and it's pretty light. HOwever the neck is a Tad Thicker than the SG '61. I want say it's more "C" shape than the "D" shape of the SG61, but definitely not as thick as the 2012 SG's.

I also got to play with a few Gibsons with that new Min-Etune robotic tuner. It seems pretty cool but took a while for all the strings to be in tune, It's not as "fast" as it seems off the gibson website video demos. I had to keep strumming the Low and High E strings for a bit before it finally went in tune.

Catatonick. That's how I got started. I bought a cheap $80 epi sg special used, and practiced on Rocksmith, definitely got me going and interested in it. After maybe 6 months of playing you should try and get some guitar lessons just so you can learn some foundations and also have the instructor spot any bad habits you are picking up and correct them.

I grabbed Guitar Pro 6, some tabs that interested me, a music theory book for guitarists, may grab a V-Pick, downloaded some videos and have been using some from Youtube. I haven't been able to practice like I would like but it is coming along. Once I get things sorted with school I am going to give no less than 15 minutes a day to practicing (not counting learning tabs). I have been trying to avoid bad habits like tilting the guitar and not pressing any harder than I need to. I am forcing myself to use the little dots on the side of the neck instead of the actual inlays and I don't have any issue muting strings unintentionally so I don't think I have any glaring flaw in my style right now.

I am not too close to any guitar instructors that I am aware of but once I actually get more into it I will start looking.

I put Rocksmith away for a bit because it was just way too hard. I don't have the muscle memory and had issues finding the right string on the right fret and all that fun stuff and when the notes just keep coming and coming at that high of a speed it tends to get a bit overwhelming. I decided a better course of action is to do some basic videos, practice some tabs, work on chord changes and then go back to Rocksmith once I have a little muscle memory down. I sort of view it as a "walk before I run" situation.

I sort of view learning guitar like typing. When I just started typing I messed up a lot when I went too fast and I had to sort of peck at keys while looking at them and getting a feel for them. It was frustrating at times but it was far easier to go slow and let speed come naturally instead of trying to force it. I feel like Rocksmith sort of forces that speed and it may lead me to dropping it due to frustration so by looking at tabs in Guitar Pro and plucking it out at my own pace it lets me sort of ease myself into the speed I need. I can stop, carefully switch frets, and get that pattern down before going faster and faster. Eventually I should be able to go to any fret without so much as thinking about it.

I also use the ducks game in Rocksmith to try and get my fingers used to working different frets and getting them a little more flexible. I don't have any issue with reaching 4 or even 5 different frets so I think I should be good pretty soon.

It helps having a guitar as comfortable as the SG Standard because my hands just feel like they belong on it as weird as that sounds. I had an Ibanez that just wasn't fun at all to play. It sounded fine but the body was uncomfortable and it just didn't fit quite right. I also hated the jack placement. The SG fixes all those issues and I can comfortably play it for long periods without it bothering me and it sounds almost like a good acoustic so the clean tone really does it for me and I just enjoy it overall. I honestly don't think I could go to a different body style at this point.

It seems my SG weighs about 8 lbs. I saw quite a few say 6 so I decided to test it out and see what I weighed before and after while holding the guitar(not very scientific but still) it came out to 8.2 lbs.

8 is pretty heavy. Usually the SG 61's are in the 6 lb range from what I've seen. Then again, be happy it's not a 10 pound les paul

Yeah it is 8.2 lbs with the case and guitar coming in at 16.8 lbs. I can't imagine my scale being off 3 times in a row and showing 8.2 lbs for the guitar each time. It doesn't feel all that heavy but it is perfectly balanced even with a cheapo Ernie Ball nylon strap it stays exactly where I put it. Maybe that extra weight in the body is keeping the neck in check haha.

Archived