Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson SG

Voodoo Monkey

I sold my Older Ebony Standard SG to get the new one. When I saw the new ones came with 57 Classics I was so happy, seems like a 61 Reissue. I got this a couple weeks back after I sold my older SG. Really fun playing guitar and it just ROCKS! I'm playing it through a Carl Martin Plexitone then into an Echotone then into the return on my Fender Ht Rod Deluxe bypassing the preamp section of the amp. Here is a little video of the new SG. I love this guitar! [woot]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice playing man, I'm jealous, watching stuff like this emphasises

how very average I am at soloing.

You must have understanding neighbours, that sounded..........LOUD !!

It was loud. LOL. My fingers just seemed to be working that night, usually I just stick to blues. I had the backing on my computer going into a PA system and my amp turned up to match it. The video and audio was done with just an iPad. I propped it up and hit record. The quality comes out really good for video and audio. I don't know if my neighbors are understanding, I just don't like them! [woot]

Thank you for the comment:-)

Chris

Hey man that was some cool jamming!! I have always liked how the black sg's look. I almost got one. I like how Gibson has made the new sg's to look like the original ones. I however have the older sg with the large guard. I am very happy with how it plays and sounds as it is probably the very best playing guitar I have ever owned. I had an 1981 LP custom with the shaw pick ups in them. I never did like how they sounded as the bridge pick up was lacking in performance. WIth my SG and it's 498 bridge pick up it really gets the nice bridge setting a great edgey sound. great job on your playing man. Enjoy, Tim

Hey man that was some cool jamming!! I have always liked how the black sg's look. I almost got one. I like how Gibson has made the new sg's to look like the original ones. I however have the older sg with the large guard. I am very happy with how it plays and sounds as it is probably the very best playing guitar I have ever owned. I had an 1981 LP custom with the shaw pick ups in them. I never did like how they sounded as the bridge pick up was lacking in performance. WIth my SG and it's 498 bridge pick up it really gets the nice bridge setting a great edgey sound. great job on your playing man. Enjoy, Tim

Thanks man. I have a 2011 SG Standard in balck with the big pick guard which I loved but I do like the smaller pick guard but mostly I like the 57 Classics. I have then In my LP Traditional and my 335. The 490 and 498 are great pickups too I just love the 57's. I have an SG Classic with P90's that has the big pick guard and it looks good on that, it's cherry but on the black I dig the small guards.

Nice playing man, I'm jealous, watching stuff like this emphasises

how very average I am at soloing.

You must have understanding neighbours, that sounded..........LOUD !!

I know... I feel the same way! There's noodling and then there's soloing. Guess I'm a noodler

Fantastic playing on the video by the way... I'm looking forward to watching a few more but need to run to work. Cheers.

I know... I feel the same way! There's noodling and then there's soloing. Guess I'm a noodler

Fantastic playing on the video by the way... I'm looking forward to watching a few more but need to run to work. Cheers.

Thank you so much jamguy. The video was me playing at my absolute best. Usually I can't do all that on command but every once and a while my fingers do what I'm thinking. [laugh]

Chris

Thank you CB. I really like the new SGs.

Yeah, they're finally getting the beveling, and horn tapering, RIGHT!

Just wish they'd do it, all down the SG line! Makes a world of difference,

both in looks, and comfort...IMHO. I didn't own an SG after '68, mostly

because of the less than stellar bevels. At one point, during the Norlin era,

they had almost NO beveling, at all! [cursing][crying]

But, with recent developments...Now, I own 2 (so far)! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I can't believe I am finally saying this but I have my very first Gibson on the way. I ordered one of these a couple days ago and it should be here tomorrow or Friday.

I am a relative beginner but I figure if you are going to do it, do it right. I ordered a SG Standard, a Roland Micro Cube, a few packs of brite wires, some Tortex .73mm in black to match the ebony, a pair of Sennheiser headphones, and a few of the "necessities" as well as a copy of Rocksmith because it was only $37 and it will let me connect to the PC or Mac. I figure this should be a pretty good starting point to get into playing very seriously. I am tired of watching videos and thinking "I wish I could do that." I decided it is time to just learn to do it and make my own.

It is killing me having to wait.

Yeah, they're finally getting the beveling, and horn tapering, RIGHT!

Just wish they'd do it, all down the SG line! Makes a world of difference,

both in looks, and comfort...IMHO. I didn't own an SG after '68, mostly

because of the less than stellar bevels. At one point, durin the Norlin era,

they had almost NO beveling, at all! [cursing][crying]

But, with recent developments...Now, I own 2 (so far)! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I had a 2011 SG Standard which I liked but I was never a fan of the big pickguard and the pickups were nice but I love the small guard and the 57 classics and the neck is a little slimmer too so I really love the new SG's. I still have a classic SG with P90's that I like but this new standard is so comfortable to play. I love it. [smile]

I can't believe I am finally saying this but I have my very first Gibson on the way. I ordered one of these a couple days ago and it should be here tomorrow or Friday.

I am a relative beginner but I figure if you are going to do it, do it right. I ordered a SG Standard, a Roland Micro Cube, a few packs of brite wires, some Tortex .73mm in black to match the ebony, a pair of Sennheiser headphones, and a few of the "necessities" as well as a copy of Rocksmith because it was only $37 and it will let me connect to the PC or Mac. I figure this should be a pretty good starting point to get into playing very seriously. I am tired of watching videos and thinking "I wish I could do that." I decided it is time to just learn to do it and make my own.

It is killing me having to wait.

Congratulations. It's a great guitar for any level IMHO. It's easy to play and sounds great. You'll be happy with it I bet:-)

Chris

I am just glad to see your video because it seems they are few and far between or they are so distorted and recorded on a horrible microphone that you can't hear the real tone. I am not close enough to a music store to handle or listen to them first hand but I have heard the pickups before and liked them so that is what sold me on it.

I am just glad to see your video because it seems they are few and far between or they are so distorted and recorded on a horrible microphone that you can't hear the real tone. I am not close enough to a music store to handle or listen to them first hand but I have heard the pickups before and liked them so that is what sold me on it.

I think you'll really like it. I recorded the video with an iPad propped up. The video is in HD and the audio always comes out nice. No fancy mice or anything. I play the backing track on my computer which is hooked into my PA and I turn up my amp to match it then recorded it with the iPad. The guitar is great and for the money you can't beat it. I buy much of my gear from a guy at Sweetwater Sound. He's always good to me on prices.

Archived