Gibson Brands Forums

Does this type of shoddy workmanship both you?

Heisenberg

*bother, not both

Just purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe '60 and overall I LOVE the thing. There are a few little things about the workmanship that drive me up the wall, but maybe I'm just too picky, idk. One of the tuners is screwed to the headstock crooked, turned clockwise too far; it would take the toothpick/glue method and drilling a new hole to get it straight. The input jack plate is also screwed on slightly crooked, it's not parallel to the edge of the guitar. 3 of the 4 knobs were put on crookedly, I had to push them down hard to get them to straighten out. None of this makes the guitar suck too hard, it's been a joy to play so far, but $1000 for a guitar is a lot of money to me. I know it's not a LP Standard or a high-end PRS, but I would have liked to have everything "line up" if you know what I mean. Anyone else experience this?

*bother, not both

Just purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe '60 and overall I LOVE the thing. There are a few little things about the workmanship that drive me up the wall, but maybe I'm just too picky, idk. One of the tuners is screwed to the headstock crooked, turned clockwise too far; it would take the toothpick/glue method and drilling a new hole to get it straight. The input jack plate is also screwed on slightly crooked, it's not parallel to the edge of the guitar. 3 of the 4 knobs were put on crookedly, I had to push them down hard to get them to straighten out. None of this makes the guitar suck too hard, it's been a joy to play so far, but $1000 for a guitar is a lot of money to me. I know it's not a LP Standard or a high-end PRS, but I would have liked to have everything "line up" if you know what I mean. Anyone else experience this?

Photos would help a lot.

Odd about the jack plate. Never seen that 'problem' mentioned before.

As far as the tuner goes; whilst it really shouldn't happen in this day and age it's still surprisingly common.

But then again if you look at the original '58 - '60 'bursts in 'The Beauty of the Burst' most of them had two or more put on squint so at least there seems to be some consistency in this department..........

P.

Odd about the jack plate. Never seen that 'problem' mentioned before.

As far as the tuner goes; whilst it really shouldn't happen in this day and age it's still surprisingly common.

But then again if you look at the original '58 - '60 'bursts in 'The Beauty of the Burst' most of them had two or more put on squint so at least there seems to be some consistency in this department..........

P.

wait.....are you saying that tuners aren't SUPPOSED to be crooked?.....I thought that was "individuality"! [laugh]

I don't see why they don't take the extra 5 seconds to hold a screwdriver shaft across the tops of opposing tuners when sinking those itty bitty screws.....works like a charm!

I just purchased a new Standard (2008 Series) made in 2010. The nut on the three way toggle switch is loose and, the toggle is upside down. Today I purchased an adjustable wrench from Stewmac to fix the problem. No way I'm returning this! I got a good one! Someone in a hurry slapped it together. I'm TLCing all together the way I like it now! Burstbucker Pros are my favorite humbuckers I have on all my guitars. I have four guitars with humbuckers. My other favorite has to be the 498T/490R on my Special. For single coils I really like the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless on my Deluxe Stratoaster. These I find you either hate or love. If you play them through a good amp and, tweak stuff a slight bit, I feel one can appreciate SCNs. I tried out two different 2008 series Standards before I decided to get one. Both sounded very good with the BB Pros. I like the tone of the chambering. I'm use to heavier Les Pauls like my 98 Special.

Hell! I don't get this! I would be the happiest man to work as QC guy at Gibson. Why can't they do their job properly?

Since I don't work there I can't say for sure but I assume that Gibson is the same as everyone else.

Too short of employee power requesting the staff to produce at a high rate of speed the most amount of product they can every single day

After the first week of trying to "do it right" you'd be raked over the coals demanding that your production increases.

but it would be nice if the Gibson 'top end' would actually read these posts and transmit that "I want more QC" into actual practice.

the argument for QC is if I can buy a Chinese item at a really low price with some amazing and some poor QC, then I don't mind paying top dollar for an item that should be top of the line QC.

unfortunately it doesn't happen. Dollar is mightier than the product.

Hello Eracer_Team!

It's a bad excuse. Sometimes my bosses ask me to do the impossible. Huge amounts of work with close deadlines. Last year I've been working 10-12 hours monday-to-saturday for a couple of months to deliver the service requested by our main customer. If I failed to deliver quality work, they would've kicked me.

To refer to another thread about automotive industry: what can do bigger harm to the reputation of a maker than a broken down car on the side of the road? The importance of QC is very underrated at Gibson - they are most responsible for the image of the manufacturer.

I love Gibson, that's why I am strict about this. Otherwise I wouldn't care. More people to the QC department! You can come and talk to me. [wink]

Cheers... Bence

Hell! I don't get this! I would be the happiest man to work as QC guy at Gibson. Why can't they do their job properly?

No you wouldn't. Glass Door rates Gibson as one of the worst companies to work for. Right up there with EA.

Personally, if you can't keep your employees happy about their work, how are you going to put out product they care enough to finish correctly?

Hate to say it, but it looks like the Corporate America mentality is prevalent at Gibson. Employees don't take pride in their work and just don't give a hoot. You really can't blame them either. Their wages are probably frozen, their benefits have been cut and their production quotas have increased. I saw all of this last month on my LP Traditional that I had to return. The neck was absolutely horrible,I'm surprised I didn't find any bark still attached to it. It obviously had not been finished properly as far as the shaping process, and how it got through QC is a wonder all onto itself. Also, speaking of QC, the last three Gibsons I received, 2 LPs and 1 SG, looked like the polishing cloth they used for the final wipe, must have had fine metal shavings and course saw dust impregnated in it due to all the fine scratches on the finish. This is something that I'll be able to rub out with polish, but still, you don't expect to see this sort of thing on guitars you just paid thousands of dollars on. Another thing to consider, even though this might or might not be the case at Gibson, there are other industries that push their employees very hard, pay them minuscule wages, they get no benefits whatsoever and then get to hear about the mulimillion dollar bonuses their BS CEO received. Wow, so much for offering incentives.

I know

Maybe Gibson should create a forum for us just to talk to Henry directly

eusa_whistle.gif

WOW, That's a great idea, whoops, I forgot, they tried that one already. Besides, he's probably real busy trying to figure out how he's gonna install those Min-ETuners into his employees.

Archived