Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson NAMM '13 ES-335 Bass

BigSmokeBass

Recently watched the SessionMusicTV NAMM 2013 report on Gibson instruments, whole lot of guitars but a certainly nice reward at the end revealing the ES-335 bass guitar.

No specific specs have been released other than it has 3 versions; Ebony, Vintage Sunburst and "Dark dark cherry" and mounted with humbuckers, V/V/T/T configuration, 3-point bridge and vintage schaller tuners.

Looking forward to read up on these as well as give them a try.

I'll upload pictures and the video later.

BSB

the pickups are not the same as the vintage EB-2s. I'd hope you could get close to the sound of an older one as well as a more defined sound. they do look nice!

From what has been said, I'm assuming they're just making an ES-335 Standard rather to a 'reissue' instrument, something a bit more modern and upbeat whilst retaining the vintage look and sound of Gibson basses.

Videos:

Skip to about the 32:00 mark

I'd be impressed to see what they price it up as in regards to the sister Midtown bass, quite similar in ways for a Gibson bass what models but different nonetheless

BSB

From what has been said, I'm assuming they're just making an ES-335 Standard rather to a 'reissue' instrument, something a bit more modern and upbeat whilst retaining the vintage look and sound of Gibson basses.

Videos:

Skip to about the 32:00 mark

I'd be impressed to see what they price it up as in regards to the sister Midtown bass, quite similar in ways for a Gibson bass what models but different nonetheless

BSB

Thanks for the links. Wow - I really like the ES-335! I'm just not a fan of the 3-point bridge. With the arched-top, there would be no changing it. I've had a few basses with the 3-point bridge; they are functional and work just fine, but I much prefer the Hipshot Supertone. The bridge doesn't make me not want this bass though!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Still nothing on the Gibson website about the ES-335 Bass. Recommended gauge strings? How many will be made? Where is the Gibson YouTube demo? Hello? Anyone hear anything?

From what I've read online, it was a very limited run which has already been and gone. Still some sunburst models available in Europe, a quick Google shopping search reveals.

Umm, just use whatever gauge strings you like? I like 45-105 regardless of the type of bass I'm putting them on.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've read online, it was a very limited run which has already been and gone. Still some sunburst models available in Europe, a quick Google shopping search reveals.

Umm, just use whatever gauge strings you like? I like 45-105 regardless of the type of bass I'm putting them on.

Appreciate the feedback. Found a used one on eBay. Love the neck. Original strings appear to be lights, 45 - 105s. I'm a happy guy. Wish Gibson was a little better at providing specs. Thanks again, neepheid.

• 2 months later...

Appreciate the feedback. Found a used one on eBay. Love the neck. Original strings appear to be lights, 45 - 105s. I'm a happy guy. Wish Gibson was a little better at providing specs. Thanks again, neepheid.

I have one of these in cherry red and its beautiful and much better then the Midtown Basses (I had one of these too!). The output and tone is amazing and the neck is really comfortable to play! I have a slight problem with the binding and a little rattle from the pick-up selector switch which was a little disappointing considering the cost. Overall though it’s a great bass and more than makes up for the fact that I was unable to get my hands on a Les Paul Signature bass in the UK for a decent price.

Archived