Gibson Brands Forums

First L-Series Red Bass Worth?

rbergmandc

Hi All..

Back in the early 90's I bought what I was told was the first Red Steinberger Bass made.. from a friend that got it at the NAMM show in LA..

All these years later he'd like to buy it back.. but being that they are commodity now i'm trying to get an appraisal for it..

I'm not sure what model (L-series?) But I do know the Serial number on the neck near the body is N2024 STEINBERGER USA

It has 2 pickups.. i don't believe either are ACTIVE..

Can anyone help me out with some info on it.. where I can appraise it.. what is it worth?

Are they appreciating in value? i'll hold it for years if you tell me its worth thousands!!!

Pics attached

I'm not sure what model (L-series?) But I do know the Serial number on the neck near the body is N2024 STEINBERGER USA

It has 2 pickups.. i don't believe either are ACTIVE..

Can anyone help me out with some info on it.. where I can appraise it.. what is it worth?

Are they appreciating in value? i'll hold it for years if you tell me its worth thousands!!!

Pics attached

Hi,

pics are not attached, which makes it a little more difficult. Anyway, if the serial is N2024, it's definitely not an L type bass, but an XP bass (wooden v-shaped body, bolt-on neck). Probably built in 1985. These are nice instruments, but not worth "thousands". XP basses usually go for around $1k, an early one in red and good shape probably a little bit more. But I doubt it would reach $2k. The P series was the budget series of the Steinberger line of instruments.

Bernd

Archived