Gibson Brands Forums

Need Advice and Opinions

RichG

You can see what I own now from my sig. I need one guitar with a pick up. I am intrigued by the Sheryl Crow SJ but have never played one. I'm waiting for one to arrive at the store. It does not have the pick up system in it. That would put it out of my price range. If I find I cannot live without it, I would then have a pick up installed in my AJ. If I'm not blown away by it, I am considering The J45 pure voice, which I have never seen in person but is also at the store. Then I would not have to modify the AJ.

Assuming the price difference is not an issue, what would you do? Or would you suggest something different?

Thanks

Rich

I'd play both and take it from there. The SJ is going to be more of what you already don't have, and that may be a good thing, giving you diversity. But really, play them and let the guitar God's take you where they may. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Played both recently. Nice guitars but the shop had a plain Jane J-45 that smoked 'em.

Interesting. The Sheryl Crow should be in by the weekend and I will finally get to try both. I will be sure to compare a standard J45 too.

Thanks.

Rich

Interesting. The Sheryl Crow should be in by the weekend and I will finally get to try both. I will be sure to compare a standard J45 too.

Thanks.

Rich

Make sure and play that J45 PureVoice through a quality amp, leave the EQ flat or almost flat, let us know what you think.

I am now the proud owner of a Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo. I told my self if the J45 purevoice was 80% of the SC unplugged, I'd buy it, but to my ear the SC blew it away. Plugged in the Purevoice was really nice, but while I need that, I only need it once in a while. I will be having a Trance system put in my AJ for that situation. The SC is light as a feather. Really impressive.

I also tried a J45TV that came in second. And a five star southern jumbo with the baggs pickup that sounded a little better than the purevoice unplugged but not as good plugged in. If I had not played the SC it would have been a hard choice

If I played out all the time plugged in, the purevoice would have been my choice, but alas, gigs are scarce these days [biggrin]

My ability to post pics is nonexistant since my iPad OS is not supported by the photo site apps. I guess I got to bite the bullet and upgrade soon. If anybody wants pics to post here, send me a PM with your email and I will email a couple to you.

All of this is subjective of course, but that's what it all about.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Rich

Congratulations!

I am also a SC SJ owner. I have posted about how impressed I am with the SJ a couple of times. It is the most impressive modern guitar I have ever played. I have tried to figure out if it is in any way significantly different from the J-45TV, but so far I have no idea...

Lars

Congratulations!

I am also a SC SJ owner. I have posted about how impressed I am with the SJ a couple of times. It is the most impressive modern guitar I have ever played. I have tried to figure out if it is in any way significantly different from the J-45TV, but so far I have no idea...

Lars

Lars, I did notice the SCSJ seemed lighter to me than the J45TV did. I did not look closely at the bracing in the TV but the bracing in the SJ is thin.

This TV sounded good, better than the one they had in December. In December I went to the dealer to buy a J45TV, but the one they had didn't impress me and I ended up buying an Advanced Jumbo. This TV did sound better than the other one. I guess that we have talked about that for a lot of different guitars.

Rich

New guy to the forum here--interestingly, I had the same evolution you did. After much trial, I landed on a Gibson J45. Was initially quite intrigued by the Pure Voice and then played the SC SJ and the rest as they say.....

One of these days I'll get around to a proper NGD post but for now I'll just say I'm smitten! This guitar is everything I was looking for--a beast when needed but also works quite well sitting on the couch fingerpicking in a mellow fashion.

2f9e65bf-1020-4415-9407-635364494b06_zps0ca1b434.jpg

Complements her (much) older sister quite well!

bf3b7f9c-a569-49fd-9f6c-7ee904fd8f60_zps33ae24cf.jpg

New guy to the forum here--interestingly, I had the same evolution you did. After much trial, I landed on a Gibson J45. Was initially quite intrigued by the Pure Voice and then played the SC SJ and the rest as they say.....

One of these days I'll get around to a proper NGD post but for now I'll just say I'm smitten! This guitar is everything I was looking for--a beast when needed but also works quite well sitting on the couch fingerpicking in a mellow fashion.

two stunners right there =D

JC

Rich--

Mine does too--I think it was just the light and exposure. I really like the "Montana burst" as it's called. That guitar has many looks depending on the angle and exposure settings used. I saw another thread here where someone mentioned their hummingbird was a bit of a chameleon--this burst has that as well.

Beautiful guitar. I also love the kind of more red tone to the sunburst in mine. Here is a picture (a little too pale, compared to natural light).

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/16b359afcda305e8cd96e081e2077f96db85f14.JPG

This model is just about perfect as far as looks in my taste. I think it strikes a perfect balance between understated and blingy. The only thing I would perhaps change is to have the vintage firestripe reproduction pickguard, not the modern one. This is difficult though. Reproduction material is available that is very close to the real thing, but putting it over the finish will change the look. In the old days the pickguard was put on bare wood and then lacquered over with the rest of the guitar. A very difficult look to replicate...and I don't know how it would look on the SJ.

I did put a vintage reproduction firestripe pickguard on my AJ. It turned out nice, but the color of the burst is very different on the SJ. You can see the AJ in the first picture on this page.

http://www.firestripepickguards.com/

I'm thinking about putting one of these on the Sheryl SJ. Good iidea?

Lars

Rich, congrats! Sorry I didn't see the post sooner. I bought an S.C, signature last year cause SJs are my favorite and for the money it is a well made, easy playing and great sounding guitar. Only thing I'm not thrilled with is the white buttons, but original specs and so be it. I hope you enjoy your's as it sounds as though you are doing. They are put together well. - Steve

Lars

I too like the firestripe pick guard. I wish it had that, but I don't think I'm into modification. My AJ came with one. Did they change to that recently?

Hall,

Thanks. I know what you mean about the white buttons, but I can live with them. [biggrin]

I do love the guitar. I'm glad I went this way. I knew if I left it in the store I would kick myself later. This one was unpacked on Friday afternoon after being overnighted from the factory and I took it home around noon on Saturday. I had been waiting for a while for one to come in and then when it finally shipped it went to the wrong store altogether so my dealer got another one sent overnight. The last one he had in the store lasted two days or something like that.

I'll try to get some pics up, but as I said above I can't do that from my archaic iPad OS. If anybody wants a couple, pm me with your email and I will email them to you, although mine looks pretty much like all the other ones!

Rich

The Gibson firestripe guard, that comes stock on AJs for example, is not the one I was referring to in my post. That one is ok, but www.firestripepickguards.com makes a much more authentic reproduction that looks really cool. On the other hand, my SCSJ looks so amazingly good with the stock guard so why mess with it? :-)

Lars

The Gibson firestripe guard, that comes stock on AJs for example, is not the one I was referring to in my post. That one is ok, but www.firestripepickguards.com makes a much more authentic reproduction that looks really cool. On the other hand, my SCSJ looks so amazingly good with the stock guard so why mess with it? :-)

Lars

Lars

Thanks for clearing that up. I see the difference.

Rich

Nice guitars...and Fireplace.

Archived