Gibson Brands Forums

To restore? Or not to restore?

Rocco

I have a 20 year old plus Studio that is somewhat sentimental to me. I was given a quote to bring it back to life by repairing some nasty dings, running it through the plek, using new hardware, total custom rewiring & switching the pick-ups to the 500T and 496R pickups that were in another LP that I had the same technician stick Seymour Duncan pickups into (among other upgrades). I am reluctant to restore the studio for a total cost of around $1,200 because I rather put that cash into another guitar, like the LP Traditional Pro model. Any thoughts?

Man that is just way too much money to throw at a guitar not worth as much as what the mods are plus the work. I would steer clear and throw the cash @ something else. You can get a brand new SG standard for that kind of cash or another good down payment toward another Les Paul. Save the money and put it to use elsewhere. Tim

I'd leave the guitar as is and put the $1200 into a new one. Don't succumb to the sunk cost effect...

I kinda have a similar debate with myself...should I buy a new Epiphone for $500 or put that money towards a Gibson? I'd really like a new guitar, but purchasing an Epiphone puts me $500 in the hole towards a Gibson I really want. Although, it will take me a couple of years to save for the Gibson. So, what to do...

I think I'll wait.

You've already answered your own question. And, let's face it...part of the sentimentality,

is because of what you've been through, with that particular guitar, and the "battle scars"

that remind you. Lot's of people call that "mojo!" Some, even pay a LOT of money, to get

an othwise new guitar, to look "beat up!" Personally, I much prefer my "mojo" to be the

wear and tear I've put on it, lovingly, by playing it. Not to have it done by the factory,

or to pay someone else, to do it for me. But, that's just Me.

So, IF I was you...I would keep your current guitar "as is," and continue to love and play it,

as such! Spend the 1,200 on (or, towards) another different model (ES, SG, Tele, Strat, whatever),

to expand your tonal palette. Or, maybe on a different Amp, etc.

Good luck, whatever you do! [smile]

CB

I have a 20 year old plus Studio that is somewhat sentimental to me. I was given a quote to bring it back to life by repairing some nasty dings, running it through the plek, using new hardware, total custom rewiring & switching the pick-ups to the 500T and 496R pickups that were in another LP that I had the same technician stick Seymour Duncan pickups into (among other upgrades). I am reluctant to restore the studio for a total cost of around $1,200 because I rather put that cash into another guitar, like the LP Traditional Pro model. Any thoughts?

Hello! Unlike most of the people, I get mad because of the slightest imperfection. Even because of almost invisible dings just by knowing they are there. This might be some kind of a mental disorder.

So, probably if any of my guitars would be in such a condition (it won't happen), I would restore it. But, $1,200 is insane! What I would do is to do everything that I can do on my own (plating the hardware, removing old finish, electrical work) and leave the rest of the job to a professional. I'd not PLEK it at all - none of my guitars got this treatment and I don't think they are lacking it.

Cheers... Bence

If the frets need work have that done. Replacing the pickups is something you can do if you want new ones.There is enough info on the internut showing what you need to do.Leave the battle scars. People pay stupid money to have some bonehead ding up a brand new guitar and call it a relic.

For that kind of money, you can buy a brand new one. It makes absolutely no sense to spend more to repair a guitar that it costs new in the first place.

If it's that far gone, it isn't worth it IMHO.

Photos of the guitar would help a a lot.

Sentimental value or not.

You can get a brand new Studio for 1200. Pretty much any model. Or you can get a dam near new USED studio for 700-900 bucks. Most of these are dam near perfect finish and condition.

Traditional Gibson Studio guitars do not hold value well. It needs to be something really unique to hold value, like an original Robot guitar, or the new Zoot Suit, Or last years LIME GREEN studio. ( Just the lime green, not the other colors. The green is such a rare color for gibson it is hard to find for less than original sale price even used )

But that is the trick to a GIBSON guitar. Buy something ORIGINAL. If you buy another Cherry red SG, or cherry burst LP, or red white black, no one will WANT it for a collection. Hundreds of others look just like it, play just like it, and sound just like it.

The Zoot LP has a P90, humbucker combo - Not common for a studio. In addition the color, wood and fret board. Also the overall look is a once in a decade release for SG and LP. SG was a few years ago but had horrible pickup combo.

Archived