Gibson Brands Forums

Difficult to get strings

Jon Dixon

All

I am really glad I got 3 sets of strings when I bought my Demon.

I was looking again recently and even they don't stock the light baritone SST-102 strings now. Or the baritone SST-103.

I am based in the UK but even looking at US stores there doesn't seem to be available stock of these any more.

I'd rather use the double ball strings as per the guitar's design, but why is this being hampered by a lack of stock.

Is this a Gibson issue?

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks for the suggestions V.

Strings Direct don't seem to stock the double end gauge I am looking for, so I may drop them a mail and double check.

Newtone look like a great idea but I'd need to buy too many sets up front :D

The other day I asked my salesman if he could get me a ZT-3 guitar. He got word from Steinberger they were changing factories and that nothing is in production right now. So if they make their own strings in that same main factory that could answer why you're having difficulty finding strings.

I noticed a lot of sites listing strings over this past weekend as I looked for the ZT-3, and then on Monday the string listings dropped from practically all the sites I buy gear from. I heard no ETA on when the new factory and production starts up.

• 2 months later...

Thanks; not been on here in a while.

I am not playing the hell out of it anyway so still have a couple of sets to play before I get desperate.

I could also go single ball end I guess, but I really do like the simplicity of the proper strings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

did you get lucky and find some strings?

I ordered a Synapse Transcale, but just cancelled the order as it seems impossible to find any strings, I don't really want to go down the single ball end route either.

Cheers

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am planning on buying a demon and putting stainless steel frets on it.

I also would like to have it painted in white.

1)Considering I like the piezo and I am going to tune it in open C(CGCEGC) and use it with the capo almost permanently

on the 2nd fret(thus making it an open d), do you recommend me getting it? Any problems/issues I should be aware of?

2)I would like to get spare parts, such as a capo, bridge and piezo, etc...How can I order and buy them?

3)Currently in my guitar I use 10-46, 25.5 scale, open d. I don't know which singleball strings are long enough for the Demon scale,

and I don't want something bigger than 12-68.

Which singleball strings do you recommend(brand/gauge)?

I am sorry for these many questions, but I need to know everything about the guitar before I buy it.

Thanks

Hi Jon,

did you get lucky and find some strings?

I ordered a Synapse Transcale, but just cancelled the order as it seems impossible to find any strings, I don't really want to go down the single ball end route either.

Cheers

Martin

Not yet, no... Thomann still isn't stocking them; Strings Direct couldn't even be bothered to answer my enquiry about strings; for now the strings I have on are keeping well... and my two sets remain... if it comes down to it, I will try single ball ended strings... if I hate that when it happens I will have t consider my options, but how easy would it be to shift a guitar where you can't get the proper strings for :D

• 3 weeks later...

So... I heard this week that gig gear.co.uk were an official Steinberger stockist, so I dropped them an email.

They can source the SST-103 strings, which are the standard baritone set that suit the guitar.

Might be grabbing me some of those soon.

• 9 months later...

I just joined this forum and I see your post is from a little while ago so not sure if you are still looking for strings. I have 5 sets of Steinberger Transcale Baritone Standard (.012, 0.16, 0.26w, 0.38w, 0.52w, 0.68w) strings. Bit of a long story- I bought a Spirit, and then ordered several sets to have on hand from a music store. They took forever to arrive and I didn't go to restring the guitar until a while later, and then found that they were the wrong size for my Spirit, which has a shorter neck.

If you're still hunting for these, you can have the 5 sets for $25 plus shipping. I am located in the US in the Philadelphia area, would take payment over PayPal. I have posted these on some other forums, so first come first served.

Let me know- Phil

• 1 year later...

Archived