Gibson Brands Forums

Who owns the oldest Gibson on the forum????

onewilyfool

I think we did this before and John won.

Here is a picture of our antique stuff from a few years ago.

a1s.jpg

The A-1 and the U-10 (Harp Guitar) are from 1913. The F4 is 1920 and the Army/Navy is 1917. The L-1 is 1918.

The Martins are 1925, 1921, 1919 and 1893. The little Washburne "New Model" is 1895.

I'd like to see some of those lovely early Gibson archtops -- I know someone must have one.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Thanks. Gibson instruments from the very beginning of the company are pretty hard to come by but especially guitars. They were just making more mandolin family instruments back then. This guitar is not an Orville Gibson built instrument however he could have been there when it was made. It is constructed just like Orville's original instruments. They (The Gibson Co.) quickly changed this design to something a little more factory friendly shortly after this was made.

Phil

I have a 1903 Style O SN#2623 and also a Style R harp guitar from the same year. Here's pic of the Style O. The harp guitar is off having some work done on it.

Phil

Very cool, Phil! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• 11 months later...

A guy I used to play music with owned a Style O (I don't recall the year it was made) and 1903 L-2. Both were handed down through his family. The Style O in particular is very cool looking but he would be the first to tell you they are not the best sounding Gibsons he has ever got his hands on. He told me if they were not family pieces they both would have been sold off a long time back. But the WOW factor cannot be denied.

Zomby, any way you can get pics of them? If the one guitar is from 1903 then it's probably not an L-2 as they came out in the 20's. Or if you still talk to the guy maybe you could get serial numbers.

Phil

I have not talked to the guy in a while. But I can guarantee the guitars are not for sale. More than a few folks have tried to buy them but he would not even talk about it. Bad combination- the guitars have been handed down through the family (his grandfather taught him to play on those guitars) and he is flush and not in dire need of money.

Archived