Gibson Brands Forums

San Diego Serenade - Tom Waits cover

flatbaroque

ah ! its that aussie bloke :)

who doesnt like an old tom waits song ?

the lyrics in that are just brill i think , the mans a genius .

i've said before theres a hint of tom waits delivery in your stuff so doing one of his was bound to work , and it did .

if i ever decide to go to the other side of the earth ayre's rock will have to wait , i'll be coming for a go on that guitar . sounds great .though i might stop at byron bay for a night first

Yep

thats the stuff right there FB.. excellent rendition. I think your right in ya groove / mojo at the mo ?... been playing alot I think

I thought that guitar would inspire ya

I must say.. I have been playing my old Seagul a lot lately.... after many months just playing the Bird... and as has been said here before...they can sound remarkably like an old Gibson.... after 14 years of hard travelling mine sounds very similar to your Gibby in this clip

( just they don't have that sweeter top end so much )

As Dan said..the room gives excellent acoustics... cheers FB

Thanks for those kind words lads.

Dan the room is my dining room.Good for guitar playing and eating spaghetti bolognese.

BBG haha yea the bloody aussie bloke again!You'll be welcome to have a strum on it.Time your Byron Bay visit to the Blues and Roots festival they have there every year.Some good acts.And yea this simple song is a cut above the ordinary because of those perfect lyrics the little feller writes.he must have been early '20's when he wrote this too.

Cheers Del.I was impressed with the old Seagull in your comparison test...its a good 'un.This little guitar is very nice to noodle around with trying to come up with songs.I read somewhere where John Hiatt uses his old LG-2 as his primary writing guitar. i'm not a huge fan of his work but i think a lot of people think highly of him.

Sal i'm happy with the guitar...i've been scared to change the old strings it came with.Will do it soon and see how she sounds.

any idea what guage they are from looking at them ??just wondering if you'll be going up or down in thickness ?

i just had a close look and they don't seem much different to my J-45, so i'm thinking maybe they are 12's.....i'll be putting 12's on so i hope i'm right...don't want any neck or bridge shenanigans happening...if it's structurally sound 12's should be fine...here's hoping

Yes, indeed right down your alley FB. I think you more than anybody else can do Mr Waits true justice on this forum. The guitar tone sounds huge and tasty, keep recording exactly in that spot, you hit the sweetspot. And for god sake dont ever post your vids in the 'acooustic performances' section or we'll all keep on missing them !

Archived