Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a crack?

siav

I mean it is really hard to tell.

But if it is that would make sense. Right below the tuner. Possibly they swapper out tuners, and used the wrong screw and cracked the wood.

Either way. Unless the guitar is a really good deal don't risk it. From appearance wear on the back of the headstock... I can't even Imagine what the rest of the guitar must look like.

Thanks for your replies

The rest of the guitar is really clean, quite impressive for LP from the 80s.

On the other side of the headstock there is nothing like craks or marks at the same place.

Shall I go for it or...?

Thanks for your replies

The rest of the guitar is really clean, quite impressive for LP from the 80s.

On the other side of the headstock there is nothing like craks or marks at the same place.

Shall I go for it or...?

How do we know? We haven't even seen the rest of it, don't know how much, etc.

Generally, yes. If you like it, buy it.

the guitar costs $2300 and all the rest is really clean, without major scratch

Lol...still, not really enough info if you are looking for "advice".

For one, depending on where you are, what country, etc., Gibsons can go for very different amounts. If a guy is in a big city in the USA, a certain guitar might be everywhere you look, and sell for "X" amount. Sometimes, if they don't come around very often, it MIGHT be worth paying a little more than what they are actually worth to avoid the hassle of waiting for a good one if you have found a good one.

There are different models, such as "Custom" and "Deluxe" and "Standard". All are worth different amounts.

2300 American greenbacks seems on the high end for an early 80's Custom.

Lol...still, not really enough info if you are looking for "advice".

For one, depending on where you are, what country, etc., Gibsons can go for very different amounts. If a guy is in a big city in the USA, a certain guitar might be everywhere you look, and sell for "X" amount. Sometimes, if they don't come around very often, it MIGHT be worth paying a little more than what they are actually worth to avoid the hassle of waiting for a good one if you have found a good one.

There are different models, such as "Custom" and "Deluxe" and "Standard". All are worth different amounts.

2300 American greenbacks seems on the high end for an early 80's Custom.

I tried to post the pictures here but it didnt worked...

I live in France and it´s not common to find LP from the 80s or a clean version such as this one would coest around eur 3000.

This one is a Standard tobaco sunburst all original (pups, pots, knobs...)

Hi Siav!

Looks fine to me. Just some finish checkings.

For one, depending on where you are, what country, etc., Gibsons can go for very different amounts....

....2300 American greenbacks seems on the high end for an early 80's Custom.

2300 Dollars, around 1700/1750 Euros, are not much here in Europe (I live in Italy) for one of those '80s Customs. It's a very good and reasonable price considering the original pickups and hardware.

Franesco

Hi Siav!

Looks fine to me. Just some finish checkings.

2300 Dollars, around 1700/1750 Euros, are not much here in Europe (I live in Italy) for one of those '80s Customs. It's a very good and reasonable price considering the original pickups and hardware.

Franesco

It is a standard not Custom

Yes 1700 eur is quite cheap but there are shipping costs + import taxes.

And by the way, how was the 80s for Gibson?

And by the way, how was the 80s for Gibson?

in two words -- "so so"... and it depends on the year it was built.

The 80s was part of the Norlin era, and Norlin era was not renown for stellar quality as the focus shifted to maximizing cost efficiencies, so some corners were cut.

Does this mean all these guitars are pooh... no, but you just want to be observant.

Edit: Anything from 1969 thru 1986 would be a Norlin era Gibson.

Google "Gibson Norlin Era" or "Gibson Norlin Years" and you'll find more out.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were going to buy it in France. Yes, there will be some taxes to pay. To import in Italy form outside the UE we have to pay an additional 28% on the declared price + shipping. It's a lot of money.

Concerning the '80s Gibson I have 3 of them. Two Explorers, a 1982 and a 1985, and a 1989 Les Paul Custom. They are nice guitars.

A guy on the Italian section of the forum that owns a lot of Gibson, even vintage things like an original 1952 Les Paul, once said that early '80s Les Paul are generally great instruments. But a lot of people think that Norlin era Gibson are crap. Probably because they used 3 pieces maple necks, pancake bodyes, ecc.

However, the best guitar I've ever played was a late '70s Norlin Les Paul Custom. An absolutely brillant instrument.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were going to buy it in France. Yes, there will be some taxes to pay. To import in Italy form outside the UE we have to pay an additional 28% on the declared price + shipping. It's a lot of money.

Concerning the '80s Gibson I have 3 of them. Two Explorers, a 1982 and a 1985, and a 1989 Les Paul Custom. They are nice guitars.

A guy on the Italian section of the forum that owns a lot of Gibson, even vintage things like an original 1952 Les Paul, once said that early '80s Les Paul are generally great instruments. But a lot of people think that Norlin era Gibson are crap. Probably because they used 3 pieces maple necks, pancake bodyes, ecc.

However, the best guitar I've ever played was a late '70s Norlin Les Paul Custom. An absolutely brillant instrument.

in France we have 19,6% taxes. All in all the guitar would cost around Eur 2200.

Archived