Gibson Brands Forums

1953 Gibson ES-175D

BurstOrBust

Beautiful Guitar!

Here is what the blue book has to say about it. Jim seems to be right in line with the current market value too.

ES-175 D (ES75)

similar to the ES-175, except has two single coil (1951-56), two PAF humbucker (1957-1962), two Pat. No. humbucker (1962-Present, current pickups are '57 Classic humbuckers) with four knobs (two v, two tone) and a three-way pickup switch, current dimensions are 16 in. wide, 20.5 in. long, and 3.5 in. thick, current mfg. utilizes curly maple/poplar/maple laminate top, sides, and back with mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard, available in Natural (disc.), Vintage Sunburst, or Wine Red (disc.) finish, mfg. 1951-present.

Add 10-25% for Natural finish on models produced between 1951 and 1999.

Add 5% (MSR $5,998) for Natural finish on models produced since 2000.

Add $523 for Aged finish, including antique hardware, worn neck and body, and old style wire tailpiece (2003-2004).

This model was introduced during 1951, but the D suffix was not added until 1953. Current production instruments (except for Aged finishes) are produced in either a Wine Red (WR), Vintage Sunburst (VS) or Natural (AN) finish with nickel or gold hardware. In 1957, P.A.F. humbucker pickups replaced P-90 single coils. In 1962, Pat. No. humbucker pickups replaced PAF pickups. In 1974, a neck volute was introduced. By 1977, tune-o-matic bridge replaced original style bridge. In 1981, neck volute was discontinued. In 1983, mahogany back/sides replaced maple body. In 1990, maple back/sides was reintroduced and replaced mahogany.

This model is currently produced in Memphis, Tennessee.

post-52921-050190600 1360612481_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input! Appreciated!

Dang straight....a beautifull guitar! Your killing me! If there was ever a time that I wished I had an 'extra' 4K around....this would be it! I noticed that you have more for sale also. Are they on Ebay or other sales medium that I could look at? PM me if necessary.....I,m curious...but broke....Have only trading stock at the current time.

It sounds like you have too many to play?

What is your main player?

Rod ....PM me if I am asking too many questions on the forum;)

Dang straight....a beautifull guitar! Your killing me! If there was ever a time that I wished I had an 'extra' 4K around....this would be it! I noticed that you have more for sale also. Are they on Ebay or other sales medium that I could look at? PM me if necessary.....I,m curious...but broke....Have only trading stock at the current time.

It sounds like you have too many to play?

What is your main player?

Rod ....PM me if I am asking too many questions on the forum;)

Rod. No worries about the questions. I have yet to succomb to eBay, but have many of them posted on a number of guitar-related forums. I also created a personal website where I have all of them listed, including more detailed pics. (Click on the For Sale tab, migrate to a particular guitar, and wait for the pics to load).

I do have too many. Much too many. Once I hit the half-century mark in terms of age, I started thinking that I need to thin the herd, as only a small handful were being played! I told myself that *this time* I won't entertain trade offers . . . but . . you know how that goes . . . it depends on what the other party has offered (like a florentine-cut Byrdland). ;)

My guitar website: Guitar | Libido

Archived