Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Chorus solid body guitar.

Brcobrem

Hi Gibson Guitar Board,

This is my first post in your forums and I appreciate the opportunity. Thank you.

I'm trying to find out a little about a Gibson "Chorus" solid body guitar. A friend bought it used around 1980 and i'm bending his arm to sell it to me at a price that's fair to both of us. Based on the PDF's available on your site, and the 8 digit numeric serial number pressed into the back of head, it's from 1966 to 1969.

This one is a solid light grey color, and only other thing else I've been able to discover about this guitar is that they made it in that reddish color of the period. I found a reddish color pic here:

Search for Chorus on that page.

Does anyone have any other information/links/trivia/etc that they'd care to share on this old axe?

I appreciate your replies.

Regards,

Brcobrem

P.S. Here's a Skydrive pic of the one I'm looking at:

Grey Chorus Guitar

Hi Gibson Guitar Board,

This is my first post in your forums and I appreciate the opportunity. Thank you.

I'm trying to find out a little about a Gibson "Chorus" solid body guitar. A friend bought it used around 1980 and i'm bending his arm to sell it to me at a price that's fair to both of us. Based on the PDF's available on your site, and the 8 digit numeric serial number pressed into the back of head, it's from 1966 to 1969.

This one is a solid light grey color, and only other thing else I've been able to discover about this guitar is that they made it in that reddish color of the period. I found a reddish color pic here:

Search for Chorus on that page.

Does anyone have any other information/links/trivia/etc that they'd care to share on this old axe?

I appreciate your replies.

Regards,

Brcobrem

P.S. Here's a Skydrive pic of the one I'm looking at:

Grey Chorus Guitar

Hi,

This is a Gibson "Corvus" - these were available from ca.1982-1984, see attachment for additional info. This should have an 8 digit serial number, with the 1st and 5th digits indicating the year. For example, serial number 81232555 dates to 1982.

Corvus!!.pdf

I have a Futura. It has the same body style but it's a neck through the body construction, like a firebird. The Corvus's all had bolt on necks.

1985GibsonFutura.jpg

It is said that it was initially designed to be a headless guitar, the tuners installed in the "can opener" shaped opening in the body.

This is a photo of a guitar built with a "Headless" design. I read somewhere that Gibson's marketing department didn't like the headless concept,

so they built it with a traditional headstock and tuners, making the model confusing & unpopular. Only 200 Futuras are said to have been sold.

john_mcgee_corvus.jpg

It is a Gibson Corvus, probably made in the early 1980s.

Regards!

D'oh! Corvus, not Chorus. No wonder I couldn't find much about it. Ha! Lucky for me at least one other nimrod in the world thought it was a Chorus too, or I wouldn't have even found that one picture of the reddish one.

Thanks for fixing my eyes for me jdgm.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Hi,

This is a Gibson "Corvus" - these were available from ca.1982-1984, see attachment for additional info. This should have an 8 digit serial number, with the 1st and 5th digits indicating the year. For example, serial number 81232555 dates to 1982.

Hi Admin/CustSvc,

You may note my other reply today where I noted my vision problem :->

Yes, based on your guidance, this one is an '82. That would make sense because that's about around the time that I first saw it.

Also thanks so much for the pdf! This one has 2 solid black pickups, so it must be the Corvus II.

I really appreciate your research effort.

Regards,

Brcobrem

I have a Futura. It has the same body style but it's a neck through the body construction, like a firebird. The Corvus's all had bolt on necks.

It is said that it was initially designed to be a headless guitar, the tuners installed in the "can opener" shaped opening in the body.

This is a photo of a guitar built with a "Headless" design. I read somewhere that Gibson's marketing department didn't like the headless concept,

so they built it with a traditional headstock and tuners, making the model confusing & unpopular. Only 200 Futuras are said to have been sold.

Hi Grog,

Yes, there is a bolt plate on the back.

I bet you're very happy with that Futura . . . NICE AXE !

Your pic of the yellow headless version is interesting. That helps explain the "notch" in the body to some degree.

Don't know If I'm going to be able to afford this. Check out some eBay completed listings:

Curvus & Futura completed listings.

Thank you very much for the history and insight.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Archived