Gibson Brands Forums

Comparison of back wood

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks ,

I found a couple of interesting photos from a pair of custom J 200 and thought I'd post them in a thread next to the back of the 40's J 200 they had at Elderly Instruments :

Elderly guitar :

20U-12195_back_zps4c68592b.jpg

20U-12195_body-back_zps68bbed0f.jpg

2012 30's RI from THE MUSIC EMPORIUM :

528487_10151081982238651_427869149_n_zpsc416b2b1.jpg

406477_10151081982298651_552524050_n_zpsf195838e.jpg

284375_10151081982203651_902412414_n_zps62e263ee.jpg

a custom (master museum I believe) :

Acoustic_6_zpsc813a704.jpg

the three back look very similar . what do you folks think ?

JC

All 3 are amazing, but to tell the truth, I think the 2 modern ones look better.

Not a complaint, but the matching neck of the vintage one goes better, as the brighter ones kinda detract from the backs, I think.

I think one thing about a lot of vintage Gibby's, is they sort of have this understated look to them that says, "just your average high quality instrument"...as if, no special effort, they just come out that way.

Just so you know...The "old" one is Brazilian Rosewood and is the the standard by which I measure all other guitars. This is by far the best SJ sound I have ever heard and the photo doesn't do the wood justice. You can count the number of these known to exist on one hand. The others are kinda nice but....

Just so you know...The "old" one is Brazilian Rosewood and is the the standard by which I measure all other guitars. This is by far the best SJ sound I have ever heard and the photo doesn't do the wood justice. You can count the number of these known to exist on one hand. The others are kinda nice but....

HE ,

was brazilian the norm or the exception on the prewar models ?

some people say BR and others IR.

a few who played the prewar one at Elderly said it wasn't that good sounding

thanks for the info

JC

The $125k one yes..?

If it's great sounding..and this one is incomparable.. its just about worth it.

Im surprised a person who makes this kinda money in a month or two has not just bought it.

I figured its cause it was not, sound wise, up to it.

It's even better than that. The guitar is a one owner. The guy bought it new. He passed several years ago. He was a friend. This one has the individual string height adjusters. I went to Ren and he got me two adjusters so we could keep the guitar playable. His wife was his music partner as well as his love. Her mandolin sold for $50K. It's just a great thing and I wish I could own it but.... Well a mis-spent youth don't you know.

I tried to get Henry to buy it but he passed. That was a huge mistake.

Archived