Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Les Paul Standard

JAC

I had my (2008 Series) made in 2010 Standard for a couple of weeks. I'm getting use to the asymmetrical neck. I still favor the slim taper but, I'm enjoying this neck more all the time. Even though the burst finish is very attractive, the overall feel and, sound of the pickups is what knocks me out the most about this guitar. When I strum certain chords and notes on it, I hear compositions and, licks I've hungered to pull out of a Les Paul with little effort. I feel the chambered body actually was designed with desireable tone projection in mind. Someone nailed it! I would appreciate any and all remarks from others on here. Please only answer if you have actually tried one out. Do not go by "hear say" or a post that you have read. I actually tried two of these out before I pulled the trigger. I feel I have truly found the feel and tone, which I've now searched for in quite some time. The only change I feel I'm going to do on it is, to lower the locking stop bar. I don't like them totally dropped but, I found on my other Les Paul, when I did this, the action and tone were further enhanced very pleasantly. I'm stoked about this piece so far and, would appreciate any input or, questions you may have on it so far. Thank you!

Yup I too have a 2008 Standard (from 2011)..

And like you I just knew I had to have one... I tried one when they first came out and loved the neck but couldnt afford one.. A few years down the line I was in my local shop and saw a wine red one in the rack and I was like ohhh I gotta try that...

The very second I played it that was it.. I had to get it and even brought back a Flying V I had to help pay it off and got the rest on interest free credit. :)

Like you I was always a fan of the 60s tapered neck which I have on my 1960 Classic.. BUT the assymetrical neck on the 2008 is just as good if nt better to play.. It did take me a short while to get used to the pickups.. As has been discussed on here before, they seem to wear in some how and one day I was just blown away by the sound like someone had turned a switch on inside it..

And yes the weight is perfect... My Classic is a beast and even though the 2008 is chambered it feels totally solid.. I also love the locking tuners which was the first time ive had them.. Awsome stuff [thumbup]

So im with you on that.. I looked at both the 2012 and 2013 models and even though both are good.. im REALLY happy I got my 2008 before they disscontinued it.. I also modded it slightly by putting black trim on...

Heres my beauty :)

DSC01788.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, have a "2008" LP Standard. Lovely guitar with a sweet sound. I have no

problem with the chambering aspect or the asymmetrical neck. It sounds good

through my Fender XD or my Blackstar HT-5R combos. It has a wonderful feel to it.

stand08IceTea.jpg

This '08 was built in February of 2009 and weighs 7.36 pounds (3.34kg)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 2008 model so well I have two of them, cherry B and a honey B I'm currently trying to find a 2008 Gold Top but missed out on one from AMS. now that I have the dough saved up for one and mission control approves, I can't find one any were. I don't want the 2012 or the 2013 because I don't give a crap about push pull pot splitting or the skinny *** neck. I think Gibson messed up by not keeping this model in their line up. I'm still searching.....

Guest Farnsbarns

I've only played one chambered LP, a rare and unusual Gibson Godess, and I said at the time that I really liked it. So bright and articulate, I could even get it to sound acoustic with a bit of fiddling. I can't imagine ever having one unless I also had a solid or Swiss cheesed LP as well. I thought of it as an excellent second guitar to own to a more traditional LP. I can certainly see why another person might see things the other way around, or even like the chambered models and not the solid ones.

My 2008 Les Paul born in 2009 and purchased in june 2010 has just lately --come into its own--i could not get a sound that i liked until a couple months ago and it just happened!!! Could it be the magnetics of the pups it just broke itself in!!!!! love everything about it!!!!

post-48308-076633500 1362505697_thumb.jpg

My 2008 Les Paul born in 2009 and purchased in june 2010 has just lately --come into its own--i could not get a sound that i liked until a couple months ago and it just happened!!! Could it be the magnetics of the pups it just broke itself in!!!!! love everything about it!!!!

Possibly, I have a HB 2008 model made in 2008 and it sounds a bit chunky / fatter than my CB 2008 made in 2010 on the same settings.

BTW, my search for a gold top 2008 is over !!!! I found one in 10 condition made in 2010 from Chicago Music Exchange. I've never purchased on line before until now. I Have always bought new in store or private party were I can touch feel etc. The store manager accepted my offer including the shipping and no tax. He guarantees the guitar is perfect no dents, buckle rash or nicks or blemishes in the top gold coating. He said I can return it in 30 days if I'm not happy with it. In fact my phone just got an e-mail that it's been shipped. I will have it on Friday and I get to show up at practice Saturday with it. I'll put my new favorite strings on it and set it up and away we go! I'm stoked, I really didn't want to settle for the newer models that I don't like.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my 2008 standard, is my first true Les Paul.

I've a problem with my fretboard hand due to car crash and the asymmetric neck helps a lot.

I love the chambered sound with burstbuckers pro and can play everything with this guitar from blues (my love), to rock to jazz.

Not so good for country [rolleyes]

• 2 years later...

I have an 72,78 07 and a 13 and my 07 is the one i love the most.Its the only one i would never sell.

Warm,brutal,resonant,LOUD,sweet and cuts like a mofo! and feels perrrrfect!.

I can put on most late 60 ,70's LP's with that classic LP sound and pull it off no prob.

Archived