Gibson Brands Forums

75th Ann SJ 200

JuanCarlosVejar

The guitar sounds fine but..... I'm really tired of folks doing a demo of a guitar with the wrong style that the guitar was made to play. The J-200 is NOT a bluegrass guitar. The guy demonstrating has nice bluegrass chops but the guitar is not designed for that type of music. It's kind of like someone trying to play Hendrix on a classical guitar. It just doesn't work and it does the guitar a huge disservice.

The guitar sounds fine but.....

Aha, Hogeye I tend to hear a little of everything here from boy-scout strumming to Pink Floyd (even a tiny out of pitch string too).

Could you tell What is the J-200 made to do ?

Always looked at the model in some sort of awe and absolutely played a couple of good ones in recent times. This recording tho, to my ears expresses too much steel wire fence.

Aha, Hogeye – I tend to hear a little of everything here – from boy-scout strumming to Pink Floyd (even a tiny out of pitch string too).

Could you tell – What is the J-200 made to do ?

Always looked at the model in some sort of awe and absolutely played a couple of good ones in recent times. This recording tho, to my ears expresses too much steel wire fence.

What is the J-200 made to do? Excellent question. I would refer you to pages 76 and 77 of Eldon Whitford's book "Gibson's Fabulous Flat-top Guitars". He explains the guitar much better than I ever could. There are several pages of styles and artists that have made the guitar famous and not one of them was a flat picking bluegrass artist. My personal likes run toward the cowboy jazz style of folks like Ranger Doug and Ray Benson. I grew up listening to Gene Autry so you know how old I am. That doesn't define the guitar but it sure helps.

Lots of speculation on who played the first SJ-200. I believe it to be Ray Whitley and he is the guy that wrote "Back In The Saddle Again" for Gene Autry. You may not remember Gene or Ray but they were the pretty big recording artists at the time.

It really doesn't matter.

I agree with you that there was to much of what we call "Barbed Wire" fence. It's just the way the guitar was played and the style of the music. A Bill Monroe "G" run on a J-200???If I'm wrong I'm sure you will tell me.

What is the J-200 made to do? Excellent question.

I see yes, I sense you have your roots together.

Just checked Ray Whitley's Back In the Saddle Again and have to say I know and kind of like this type of music especially when there's 3 or 4 part harmony involved.

Guess such merry tunes were played a lot on the radio when I was about 50 centimeter high.

Well, back in the saddle hope the same can be said about my hearing soon.

Btw. a funny arrangement with those strings on the 8th.

Dream on ~

Archived