• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does Gibson still make amps?

#21 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

According to a book I bought, "Gibson Amplifiers 1933-2008, 75 Years of Gold Tone" by Wallace Marx Jr., Gibson ceased production of amps in Kalamazoo in 1968. Seth Lover was deeply involved in amp design & left the company to work at Fender in 1967. Gibson, (CMI) had holdings in Standel & had amps produced in their factory for a number of years after that.

#22 User is offline   Twang Gang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

I had a Gibson Amp in about 1969 that I bought new. I was using a little Ampeg combo (wish I still had it)but it wasn't loud enough when I got into a college blues/rock band. The Gibson was a "Super Medalist" had 2 X 12 speakers stacked one on top of the other, all the amp controls were on the top of amp (not the face or the back). List price in '68 was about $400. It had reverb and tremolo - it was loud enough, probably in the 30-40 watt range but didn't sound very good when you cranked it up (overdriven speakers), so I traded it in on a Fender Bandmaster which had it's drawbacks, but did the job. At that time Gibson even made a solid state amp rated about 350 watts, but I never played one of those.

So my recollection of the only Gibson amp I ever owned and played through was that it was good at clean volume levels, but didn't do the cranked up distortion thing very well. Those were the days before overdrive and distortion pedals.
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2002 Custom Shop 336 (Mahogany/Maple) Vintage Burst
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2

#23 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

I know I've posted this photo in the past. This series of amps should have been the last amps made by Gibson in Kalamazoo. I started collecting the smallest of this series amp a number of years ago. These were considered by most to be clean amps, more suitable for jazz & clean playing. The Skylarks do break up nicely when cranked all the way up. Other than one solid state amp that Gibson had in the Crestliner Series, the GSS amps were some of the earliest solid state amps at 50 & 100 watts.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users