Gibson Brands Forums

Spirit XT-25 String/Installation Help

David Wisniewski

I recently bought a Spirit XT-25 used (the seller said it needed new strings), and I'm having trouble finding anyone who sells 5 strings as a package for this bass. I got D'Addario ESXL160 strings, thinking that they would work, only to find out that there are only 4 strings. I called D'Addario and they said they don't make a set of strings for a 5-string bass, but that they do sell strings individually. Anyone know what the 5th string would be? (I've never had a 5-string bass before).

My other question is, how difficult is it to restring one of these? Steinberger/Gibson said that they doesn't have an owner's manual for this bass (which I find odd). Anyone have a owner's manual or some instructions that would help?

-David

I recently bought a Spirit XT-25 used (the seller said it needed new strings), and I'm having trouble finding anyone who sells 5 strings as a package for this bass.

LaBella and Rotosound have complete sets. Just read the gauges from them.

My other question is, how difficult is it to restring one of these? Steinberger/Gibson said that they doesn't have an owner's manual for this bass (which I find odd). Anyone have a owner's manual or some instructions that would help?

This is the easiest part. Just turn the tuners all counterclockwise until the strings are loose enough to be taken out of the jaws holding them on the bridge. Then take the string out of the headpiece and off the bass. Put the new strings first into the headpiece, then into the jaw, and now turn the tuners clockwise for tuning up to pitch. That's it :)

Here are the old Steinberger Doubleball Instructions, describing a guitar. However, most information is also true for a bass (setting action, intonation, restringing), just ignore the tremolo part.

Bernd

Archived