Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

Starcounter

I have been playing Ernie Ball 9s since I first began playing. I really like them, and to be honest I couldn't imagine anything being any better. My question is: am I cheating myself by not trying out other brands? I see much more expensive sets of strings than the super slinkys, but is there a real reson for it? Is the action of the string, life of the string, crisp sound of the string, and the string's ability to resist corrosion really that much different from brand to brand?

Adam

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been playing Ernie Ball 9s since I first began playing. I really like them, and to be honest I couldn't imagine anything being any better. My question is: am I cheating myself by not trying out other brands? I see much more expensive sets of strings than the super slinkys, but is there a real reson for it? Is the action of the string, life of the string, crisp sound of the string, and the string's ability to resist corrosion really that much different from brand to brand?

Adam

No your not, if it works for you then there is no reason to change. I've always tried different strings when ever I got a new guitar just to see how it voices/feels with any one brand/gauge. I always come back to the same brand and gauge... D'Addario 10's or 9's for electric and Martin Marque 80/20 regular bronze for acoustic.

Adam

Everybody has their own preferences but for me its got to be Elixer... they just smash all the other stings out of the water

Of course I played out the strings that come on a new Epi LP. Result? Ehh....

Since then I've tried GHS Boomer 10's, D'addario EXP 10's and D'addario Bright Steel or something (gray/silver package). Went straight back to my old standby: EB R&R Super Slinky's (9-42).

For me they just sound the best for the tone I want. My guitar tech suggested trying the EB Cobalts and someday I probably will, but for now, I'll stick with what I've found works for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adam

I've seen a lot of people raving about Elixirs, but haven't tried them yet. For my electrics I've decided Gibson Vintage or Bright Wires sound and feel right to me. I recently tried a set of DR's and get no bass response out of them, so back to the Gibsons. I have tried many many acoustic strings both for my Gibson and Epiphones and nothing sounds as good as Ernie Ball Earthwoods. I still try other strings from time to time but mostly it confirms my opinions about the ones I like best.

Archived