Gibson Brands Forums

No serialnumber on 2009 Gibson L5 headstock?

Django2

On Many high-end (high dollar) Gibsons the serial number is on the label inside the body when looking through the "F" hole on the bass side. I am not sure if that L5 would or not. You may want to call Gibson Customer Service for a faster answer as they are usually too busy to check here on a daily basis.

I may be wrong but I think the ones with a stamped number were made in Memphis Custom shop where the ones without a stamp and just the label were made in the Nashville Custom Shop and part of the Historic program. Hopefully someone else will jump in with some info.

Made in Nashville. Bought it at THE Gibson dealer in Italy. He orders the Custom Guitars at Gibson. So.. We can call it custom orderd; custom build. Thanks for interesting replys!

You got it from THE Gibson dealer in Italy so you have nothing to fear. It is genuine. Gibson does oddball things like that sometimes such as leaving the serial number unstamped on the back of its headstock.

This is my guitar: http://www.archtop.com/ac_10L4CES.html , a 2010 Gibson L-4CES custom ordered by its previous owner from Gibson Custom Shop with one pup.

It has no serial number stamped on the back of its headstock either. I am not concerned about that. Is yours a custom ordered L-5?

Hoo boy Jabber, - that is absolutely beautiful. When did you get it and if you don't mind what did it set you back. Don't see that many archtops with mahagony back and sides. Major GAS!!

Can someone tell me why there is no serialnumber stamped on the headstock of my 2009 L5!

My 2011 Custom Shop L-5 CES Wes does not have a stamped serial number and that was shipped directly to me from Gibson, so I'm pretty sure it's legit :-)

Danny W.

Archived