Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special ID

Praxis

Hi

was wondering if anyone could assist me. I have my eye on a Les Paul Special in my local music shop. It it a real nice looking piece of wood - think it might be walnut finish and it has dual P90s. The serial number on it is 0 6962. From what I can gather this seems to be a 60 reissue built in 1996 but I may be mistaken. The shop has it on a reduced price as it has been in their stock for a very long time but even with the £300 reduction the price seems very high to me at £1399 for a 17 year old guitar. It is in mint condition however and does have a hard case to go with it. Unfortunately I have no pictures as yet as I have not taken possession of it. I have played it and it sounds and plays like a dream - almost as good as my Les Paul Classic Premium. Anyone have any idea if this is the correct ID for the guitar and if they agree with me that it is a bit over priced?

many thanks in advance.

yes it looked very much like that one but it had a wrap around stop bar and i think the gibson logo was a MOP inlay type not printed on the surface

Hmmm.. not 100% sure as im not the most knowledgeable on here.. BUT having a wrap around bridge it could be some kind of VOS model (vintage original spec)... They are always way more expensive than the regular models...

like this

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1960-Les-Paul-Special-Single-VOS.aspx

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-1960-les-paul-special-single-cutaway-vos-electric-guitar

I don't have seriel# info, and can't confirm without pics....

But if that is the model I am thinking of, it's worth every bit of the asking price I think.

Those Historic Specials are DANMED nice guitars, even though they are just Specials.

I am very tempted to go get it - it was a lovely guitar and played really well I just thought it might be a little highly proced but it may be that way for a reason. I am gonna go up there again on Monday an see if I can cut a deal. Will try and get some pics then.

Archived