Gibson Brands Forums

Some strings do not tune

oldrobot

Hi,

I own a 1st limited edition robot guitar since 2008. Worked fine until last year. Now some strings G,D,B are not tuning, means not reacting at all. I changed the tuning haeds and the error stays with the string, so no defective tuning heads. I can tune it manually and the Knob shows all green, so no problem with the piezo head?

I suspect some contact problem or the driver electronic?

Is there somebody who has the same experience or who has some hint for me?

Thank you very much,

HANS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I own a 1st limited edition robot guitar since 2008. Worked fine until last year. Now some strings G,D,B are not tuning, means not reacting at all. I changed the tuning haeds and the error stays with the string, so no defective tuning heads. I can tune it manually and the Knob shows all green, so no problem with the piezo head?

I suspect some contact problem or the driver electronic?

Is there somebody who has the same experience or who has some hint for me?

Thank you very much,

HANS

Just to clarify: when you say "not reacting at all", I assume that the tuner motors are not making any noise? When you changed the heads, what did you do? Replace them with new ones? Used ones? I found the Gen 1 to be very sensitive to misalignment between the tuners and the head flex circuit board, as well as losing contact. Clean the contacts on the circuit and the tuners with an eraser and try again.

Also, if you go into String Down Mode you can verify if it's a connection issue with the tuners, since they are supposed to start turning down.

• 4 weeks later...

You guys with the advanced technology guitars are so fortunate. I still have to tune by ear... [flapper]

Aww, I'm bein too snotty, but I couldn't resist. I do feel for ya. Seriously, you paid for and probably love the technology and it's frustrating when there's a stubborn puzzlin glitch.

Hope it's solved soon,

Cheers,

You guys with the advanced technology guitars are so fortunate. I still have to tune by ear... [flapper]

Aww, I'm bein too snotty, but I couldn't resist. I do feel for ya. Seriously, you paid for and probably love the technology and it's frustrating when there's a stubborn puzzlin glitch.

Hope it's solved soon,

Cheers,

Hi V, no problem. It was a battery issue. Easily fixed.:rolleyes: V, if you had songs in 5 different tunings, in one set, and had to re-tune manually, I would feel for the audience that had to wait for you, as you make excuses while you re-tune(can you tell I've been there done that). Now, I drink water while the audience watches the light show on my guitar for 5 secs, then I'm ready to go. Your right, I do love the tech. Been waiting for it for years. Now I take 2 robot guitars, my Axe Fx II, and I can play ANY of my original 60 song catalog, open tunings(3),and slide tunings(2), Acoustic(piezo), anywhere in the world, for one 1st class ticket and my fee. [thumbup]

You're a good sport, Klaus.

That technology, and those advantages for you...simply amazing! Let's you access the range of your talent almost at will. With so much freedom.

Excelsior!

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Using coated strings can "F" with a robot guitar, since it sends the electric up your strings. I've seen it happen.

I buy a Luthier bulk box of non-exciting stock nickel strings, and change them regularly.

When a Robot doesn't want to tune itself, it's USUALLY.... Battery... or Strings.

Using coated strings can "F" with a robot guitar, since it sends the electric up your strings. I've seen it happen.

I buy a Luthier bulk box of non-exciting stock nickel strings, and change them regularly.

When a Robot doesn't want to tune itself, it's USUALLY.... Battery... or Strings.

This is very useful info to pass on to our friends. Thanks!

Doug

This is very useful info to pass on to our friends. Thanks!

Doug

Glad you liked it. I am a computer tech... and I also fiddle with cars and tube amps. Musicians sometimes aren't taught basic electricity, or have no idea that the Robots use the strings for Communication or Power... Crappy strings make robots act weird.

I had one acting weird when the battery said "OK"... Gibson support said charge it 100% and see what happens.

So.. If the robot guitar isn't doing its magic...

#1 Fresh uncoated "Traditional" guitar strings.

#2 Fully charged battery.

Archived