Gibson Brands Forums

What Made You Pick Up The Guitar?

solacematt

wow. you nailed that. i was ace in our friend's basement air guitar band. the position of choice was peter criss because then you got to beat on the upside-down bushel baskets stuffed with pillows while kiss alive played. my dad made me a les paul shaped guitar out of scrap wood panelling (so 70's!) and used duct tape as a neck binding so i wouldn't get slivers. i drew in the pickups with a magic marker and then coloured the rest of the body in after. i was sooo hooked.

In 1958 when I was in the 7th grade, a friend was taking lessons. One day he brought his beautiful Gibson ES of some sort, flashy with gold knobs and trim, and I think I was hooked. Not sure why, maybe because I was destined to play and this was just one factor in pushing me that way. I didn't get my own guitar until '62 but played a few a little bit before that. There may have been some external factors guiding me toward the guitar but I think I was going to play anyway.

mark_farner_resize.jpg

grand%20funk.jpg

I was eight at the time.

What a great band.... I saw them live in Boston when I was a kid... "I'm Your Captain" what a tune!!! To bad they kinda fisseld out. They sort of got a bad wrap for being too commercial at the end.... What ever happened to them anyway?

What made me want to play guitar was what made me devote my life to music in the first place, its in my blood...

I know it's stupid, but while I had always hovered about picking up guitar, what finally made me buckle down and learn to play a few chords was a girl (who is now my wife) who I was crushing on hard for a years. Picked up an acoustic, learned to play Blackbird, and just never put the damn thing down after that.

Simple enough question. What made you want to play the guitar?

Simple answer. AM radio in the mid 1960s, along with a few rather daring television shows.

AM radio was playing all the good music in those days. Doors, Beatles, Stones, Santana, Hendrix, Iron Butterfly, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Elvis. Everything from "bubble gum" tunes to bluegrass. FM was just starting to catch on, mostly through college radio stations, but they were playing some of the weirdest stuff around at the time, and the DJs spoke in this strange quiet, stoner voice.

Then there were the TV shows, like The Ed Sullivan variety show. The guy was kind'a strange, but he put on a really good shoe, as the saying goes. He gave most people their first real look at many great bands, other than the rare album photos. There seemed to be a phobia among artists in those days. Many bands would not use photos of the band members on their albums, (old school CDs) so you hardly ever got a chance to see what they looked like. Ed helped in that respect.

There were so many great artists around at that time, that I couldn't really pin it down to just one influence. It was an explosive atmosphere of different music and morals, and I don't think there will ever be anything like that time again.

A former friend. I bought my guitar and he bought his base on the same day. We formed a band with his brother, drummer for a few years, the very next day. A few years later, we moved to Hanover, Germany, to find a singer...and we did. We called ourselves The Scorpions and toured for a few years...

What a great band.... I saw them live in Boston when I was a kid... "I'm Your Captain" what a tune!!! To bad they kinda fisseld out. They sort of got a bad wrap for being too commercial at the end.... What ever happened to them anyway?

What made me want to play guitar was what made me devote my life to music in the first place' date=' its in my blood...[/quote']

I thought AXE's picture was of Frank Marino =D>

I don't know what I voted for. I must have accidently clicked a choice without realizing it.

Anyway, I'm torn between Ace and song. Of course I wanted to be Ace but when I fisrt heard Sultans of Swing in about 4th or 5th grade I knew that someday I would learn to play that song.

A former friend. I bought my guitar and he bought his base on the same day. We formed a band with his brother' date=' drummer for a few years, the very next day. A few years later, we moved to Hanover, Germany, to find a singer...and we did. We called ourselves The Scorpions and toured for a few years...[/quote']

The Scorpions Band Members

Klaus Meine

Matthias Jabs

Rudolf Schenker

James Kottak

Pawel Maciwoda

I don't see R9 listed.... =D>

Forgot to put mine down. My first instrument was actually drums. I don't know why either. I live in an area where there's mostly old people. They would call the cops for me playing drums at 4-5 in the afternoon. My parents got sick of it, so we got rid of the drums and I got a Les Paul. I was determined to learn this Smashing Pumpkins song I was really into, and after a friend showed me how to play it, a month later I had it down. Funny thing is said friend put 12's on my LP to discourage me from playing. Obviously it didn't work.

Archived