Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SQ-180

kingt

This is a seriously cool guitar.

You should be able to find info about it on this site:

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/

But, currently, they're experiencing some technical difficulties. Keep trying. I've apprised RTH of the situation (I think he's that site's admin.)

This guitar actually makes me smile everytime i look at it. The pick guard just.. lol

Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll for sure check out the site when it's up.

This is a Don Everly Signature Epi. It first came out around '82 or '86 and over the years it had several different headstock designs. Most had pickguards the same colour as the original '63 Gibson Everly J-180, but this seems to have the black one to emulate the Steinegger (see later in this post). Late '90's issues had Don Everly's signature on the headstock. With good strings and changing the saddle, nut and pins to bone you can get a nice tone from it.

The history of the origin of this guitar is that before the Everly's reunion of '83 they withdrew their name from the Gibson "Everly Brothers" J-180 as Gibson made changes to it without their consent. This then became the Gibson J-180. Phil Everly then started a project with luthier Robert Steinegger and designed the Steinegger Ike Everly which was a greatly improved version of the Gibson J-180. This was the one used on the reunion concert. 57 of these were made and I think they all had black pickguards. They never used Gibson after that.

Don was not involved in the Steinegger project so put his name on this Epi, although the pickguards are not tortoiseshell, I think they are a plastic.

I have an '88 and two '98's and they are quite nice to play albeit the nut width is smaller than the standard J-180, by about 5mm. Fine for strumming but a bit awkward for anything else. I still want to get one with the black pickguard.

As to value, it is like anything else, who is looking for one and how much are they willing to pay. One recently sold on ebay for just over UK£320 and that was a '90 issue I think. That is quite a high price as I have seen them go for less, but it depends on year and condition.

Bob

Archived