Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard on a Dot 335 or 355 needed?

CheapShoes

I have an Epi Dot studio WN, and an Epi ebony 355 w/Bigsby. The 355 ebony came with a tortoise pickguard (uninstalled). I'm kind of thinking to install the guard on the natural Studio, and leave the blackie without a guard. How many of you prefer having a guard on a Dot? Is it necessary in the long run to preserve the top? If so, I'll install it on the ebony (a much more expensive guitar than the studio). On the fence. I like how the guitar looks without the guard, but the strings are up pretty far from the top without a raised guard.

never a big fan of the pickguard on a 335 so bought one specifically without one so there was no screw holes but its a personal choice

When I take the pickguard off, like to show more of a nice flame top, I put the screws back in the holes, which looks better than an empty hole, and it keeps you from losing the screws if you want to put the pickguard back on later.

When I take the pickguard off, like to show more of a nice flame top, I put the screws back in the holes, which looks better than an empty hole, and it keeps you from losing the screws if you want to put the pickguard back on later.

this is true but mind never had a pickguard on it so there no holes and no screws

Yeah, the blacke isn't predrilled - though the holes would be pretty small and inconspicuous when drilled. I play with two small fingers down on top as a habit developed from banjo, and lends to precise picking,though I hit the strings pretty hard. Downside is it is not as easy to reach high strings as if I just rested my palm on top with fingers curled underneath. The guard is kind of the opposite - raises the floor too high - or so I noticed on me Gretsch. I think a guard will make the Studio look more grown up, but might just distract from the ebony beauty. Looks like most old Gibby rockers leave the guard on... but I suppose were finished in thin Nitro too.

All I can say is that I have two Dots and four archtop hollows. All but one have the pickguards and I like them for what I'm doing now. I feel I was pretty stupid in removing the pick guard back in the 70s from the oldest archtop - from the '50s - because heaven knows where it went after a dozen moves or so.

I also tend to plant my pinkie on the guard and 99 percent of my picking currently is thumb and three fingers more or less "classical" style.

m

I just took a close look at the pick guards on both the Dot and the Riv, the Dot has pick streaks all over it so I guess that one should stay as I have been getting pretty aggressive with it. The Riv doesn't have a mark on it, but I do tend to play that one more with my fingers and even when I do use a pick I have been playing more of an early 60s Pop and British Invasion type style with it.

-Harry

Archived