Gibson Brands Forums

Temporary closing my studio (prety long post)

Thundergod

As some of you might know I own a studio and am also the head producer of said studio... and as a few of you might know I also have a very time consuming "day job", which pays way better than the studio (which on itself generates a decent income). So I've been dedicating more time to the dayjob and less to the studio to the point that I go there just once or twice a week; funy thing is, my dayjob is in the same building, there are two offices in the floor, my studio and the foundation I work with. And still I dont get to spend even 10 minutes there... (I was doing weekends there but right now I am spending my weekends with the girl and building cabinets, which makes less than the studio from monday to friday but way more than what the studio makes sat-sun and in turn is more satisfactory (spelling)).

As it is, I dont have time. But I went ahead and engaged in another thing (=D> ) which is audio/visual equipment rental (as if life wasnt short enough), which requieres a lot of room... I engaged in this a month ago (or so), but most of the equipment I already had (speaker cabinets, snakes, stages, lights, and other stuff you can see in small and medium shows and corporate events).

So now the situation got out of hand... the LED screen arived today, the projection screens (2, both 4mx3,5m) are ariving this weekend... and of those humongus bass speakers are ariving soon to...

I dont know where to keep them. I've been looking for a house or something so I can have the studio, part of the foundation and a wharehouse all in the same place, but with the current situation (economic/financial) of the entire world (remember I live in a 3rd world country overrun by commies), I dont think that is a wise option right now, specially since I've learned from a good friend (that stands in line with the commie regime as long as they dont get on his tail) that this idiots are droppong the american dollar as the official currency and bringing back the "sucre" (our old currency, in the old days (its last days) it would dropp from 5.000 sucres a dollar to 25.000 sucres a dollar in just 10 hours. Imagine that!

If I aquire a debt for say 150.000 bucks (average price for a prety big almost huge house in a commercial zone, I'll have to pay more than 1500 a month, which is manageable, but, if the SUCRE comes back, I will have to charge customers in Sucres and still pay my debt in dollars... which is a very dangerous thing to do. (one day you have 10 dollars and the next they mean 0.50).

This happened to a friend 10 years ago (a very bad time for my country, most banks went out of buissiness, nobody got their money back) and he ended up having to give his home and his office to the bank and still he owed them money because those propperties went down from 350.000 dollars each to less than 100.000

So... (I can't believe anyone would have read this far!!!)

I am closing down the studio and transforming it into a warehouse for said equipment (which gladly is all paid for, mostly) and offices for the equipment rental bussiness.

I'll keep "control room 1" unchanged as it will be my personal/private office, but the rest is going to be either equipment storage or have some desks and folks working there.

At this time I dont know if I will open it back or just keep some stuff so I can have a little (very little) studio at home just for me and some friends, right now, having all that stuff stored just doesnt make sense, and I donot have nowhere to store it.

Also some things will definetly have to go. I will post a list of the junk here if any of you guys want to help me figure out what I should keep and what not... a peavey head and 4x12 cab is gone already... the roland drumms and the acoustic (DW) drums are gone too (I cant believe how fast those things sold!).

I am thinking of letting go some guitars and FX, a lot of cabs and some amps I dont use anyway, I had them for costumer use only.

A friend has offered me very good money for my Tele but I think I am not willing to part with her. Neither with my standard faded les paul. I have one interested in the white studio I've been storing for a couple of months now... never got to refinish her.

I'll post a list later... right now I just wanted to get this out of my system... and what place better than this? among guitar playing friends that would understand...

Best of luck Thunder. These are weird times. Our (American) Government is trying to keep the (corrupt) banking industry alive with bailout money, that they steal from us (taxpayers).

Next, they want to own the auto industry.

The big red States are all broke. Go figure.

Illinois is a joke. So is California.

God bless you, (some people think I shouldn't say that), and we here wish you the best.

As for me and mine. I'm keeping my powder dry........

Because I think this has just started.

Murph.

Don't worry Otton, soon we'll have a one world government with a one world currency and we'll all get eaten by the Anti-Christ.

Until then, no matter how badly the man has you down, raise your fist of rock 'n roll rebellion (even if it is just a day or two out of the week) and give 'em hell.

If more people did so, mebbe the world wouldn't be as screwed up as it is right now.

Thanks for all your kind comments guys... makes me feel better, my family couldnt care less (they dont care for musicians) and my girl, as well intended and loving as she is, only said to me "I don't think you should make such a big deal out of it... just close it down and use the space for what it's needed".

Thanks again!

Good luck Thunder life tends to be pretty circular with good times followed by bad before it swings around again gear can always be replaced usually with smaller and cheaper gear but space and talent are always hard to come by. do what you gotta do to make a living now and someday soon hopefully the world will settle out and the new Thunder studios will be bigger and better than ever. and if the commies get to bad the girl and a guitar is all you can run with anyway...[-X

Just to echo comments made here, life does have its ups and downs. The downs are what make the ups so gratifying. I had a lot of musician offers when I was 17 (Vegas, cruise ships, touring with various artists, etc.). I went off to college instead. I always wondered about that "dream" and where I'd be today if I took that chance. Sounds like you've done more than I ever did with my dream. As long as you don't give up totally on it (like I unfortunately did), you'll make it happen. Every problem has a solution and you'll find yours.

You might consider holding on to some of your studio gear that can be rented out as well like amplifiers and speaker cabinets if you can jam it into some space not occupied by the rest of the A/V gear. I don't know how much of a market there is for that stuff or if it even makes sense financially though.

Wow. Tough break just when everything's going so well. I'm sure you'll come thru this un-scathed at the other end.

When considerring selling your gear just remember that a guitar will get you thru a time with no money better than money getting you thru a time with no guitar.

Thundergod - that is a sad state of affairs for a muso. But, yah gotta do what yah gotta do, and do it right too.

Just keep some music going somehow.

(And don't sell anything you can't replace either.)

I thought Sucre was the name for what was Charcas and became Chuquisaca - and I guess the Capital - of Bolivia. I had no idea it was Ecuador's currency. Presumably named after the same guy.....

(sorry if the Bolivian town names are spelt wrong - been a long time since history lessons.)

Good luck Thunder!

You getting married right? With marriage comes children (Usually)... If you ever have children you wont have enough time to scratch your arse... I'd keep the Studio (If possible) so you have a little bolt hole through the sh*t times...

All the best friend..

Flight959

Thanks guys! Flight: well yes... I am (hopefully) getting married next year... and yes, that is one of the reasons I ngaged into the new thing, it is very lucrative here, there are some folks doing the same but their prices are high and they usually are bad at it; they also wont do some smaller gigs which I am willing to do (3 smaller gigs equal 1 big gig, but you spend 1/5 of the money as you dont have to pay as many people and move as much equipment).

Luckyly my girl doesnt want children for at least the first 4 years of mariagge so it should be easy.

Dont worry man, you'll be alright. Stinks you gotta sell all that stuff. The economy will turn around. Gas prices in my area(Eastern Mass.)have gone WAY down! They went from $4.00 to $1.55 in a few months! every day day its a few cents lower! happy-smiley-585.gif it's probably gonna go up again in the summer though. =D> Well, good luck. can't wait for that list. [-X

Keep Rockin', music-smiley-1306.gif and keep the peace. not-tagged-smiley-10007.gif

From Boston.

Thunder,

Just make sure that you don't lose your own identity. I certainly do not mean to step on your toes, but just wanted you to make sure that you are doing the right thing. I just hope you are not giving up everything that is you.......for your soon to be wife or family.

I wanted to put some words out there for you to think about..........and for you not get into a situation that would be very difficult for you to get out of.

Again......this was meant as food for thought......for someone that has my respect.

Lee

Archived