Gibson Brands Forums

Garage Band

Tim Plains

I use it. It's ok plugged directly in. I can't use external effects b/c it causes clipping so I have to use the built in ones. Best luck I've had is using a quality USB mic on a low watt amp isolated with egg crate foam. I can use effects then and it records well.

Best part is being able to sculpt the drums the way I want them. No more drummers who can't remember what they played last time bullsh!t. [-o</

I wanted Garage Band for a while and almost bought a Mac just for that but I spend too much time tinkering with stuff as it is.

Instead I ended up buy a Boss Micro BR because of its portability, it is a 4-track recorder but I rarely record anything, I use it for when I travel or for practicing with headphones, this thing has programmable drum loops and included guitar effects and a few bass effects.

My favorite feature is that I bought a 2 Meg SD card and I downloaded backing tracks into it and play along (you can use a card up to 4 Meg). It also has a sort of basic trainer where you can repeat a riff or solo from point A to point B, and slow the speed without changing the pitch, etc.

It has an onboard microphone and tuner. The output is full range, so you can plug up your headphones or you can plug it into say a normal stereo receiver, anything that has a auxiliar input.

Over the summer, I plugged into my car stereo "aux in" and jammed...(I have a convertible) my wife asked me, how the hell did you do that?

I also had to wait for my wife for a couple of hours one time and brought my guitar, micro br, cable, and the cable that goes into the stereo and played in the car. It beats waiting in a little room browsing through crappy magazines.

I'm saving for an i MAC so I can get recording... I plan to later upgrade to Logic, since what you do in garage band is able to be imported directly into logic. I'm starting simple, learning what I can, then expanding when I need to.

I will also be investing in a USB interface to input signals...

I use it all the time to lay down an idea so I can work on it later.... I do my real production work with Cubase but I'm hearing of a lot of guys going Garage Band all the way. If you buy all the extras and sound libraries its very powerful. Mac bought Logic Audio or is it Audio Logic, whatever.... Logic is a total pro audio production software package and I think the software motor behind Garage Band is based on Logic... I could be wrong though...

I've used Garage Band quite a bit for demo stuff. I have Logic Express too, but Garage Band is so easy. I find it does what I need generally. The guitar patches are quite tweakable (you can adjust all sorts of parameters to warm up the sound) and I have had good results plugging straight in. For vocal (or anything you want to mic) you will want an interface into your Mac. I've used the M-Audio Firewire Solo for a few years now. It will phantom power a condenser mic, and you can run standard high and low impedance mics too. For a couple hundred bucks it's a pretty decent setup.

Archived