Gibson Brands Forums

1935 gibson Adv. Jumbo RI

JuanCarlosVejar

That's pretty funny. Gary brought his prototype AJ to Bozeman in 1990. They speced it out and made their production AJ to the exact specs. Ren did the work and repoduced the guitar exactly. The specs haven't changed in all these years and every AJ that Montana makes is an exact copy of Gary's guitar. When Gary came out to Montana he came with Eldon Whitford, Dave Vinopal,and Dan Erlewine as well. They spent a week in Bozeman. I got to play Gary's prototype on several occasions and even got to play the first Montana AJ off the line. The guitar first appeared in 1991. I guess Gibson doesn't have anyone left that remembers that visit. All they had to do was read page 48 of Eldon's Gibson's Fabulous Flat-ToP book. Every Advanced Jumbo is a copy of Gary's guitar from 1990 to now. Well... Every real Advanced Jumbo. Gibson has cheapened the brand equity of that guitar with several very strange variations. Can you imagine they made a short scale mahogany version and actually called it an Advanced Jumbo. How truly sad.

That's him all right.

Gary has always said that guitar was (1) BRW and (2) a prototype. When I ask him why he said it was BRW, he quoted a Gibson ad that bragged about "rosewood from Brazil." But that does indeed look like maybe a 34/35 burst, and it is true that the 32 L-2s were indeed BRW. So it is rational, if not proven to my satisfaction, that it is BRW.

However by the time the AJ was put in production in late 1936, the rosewood in use was EIRW -- and remained so through the life of the AJ production. Gary also told me his had two tone bars -- as the vast majority of the prewar AJs did. However ours, which is part of the initial 1936 build, has three tone bars.

So the short version -- whatever that thing is, it has significant feature differences from the actual initial and later production models. I think they are the actual AJs.

Here is a our 35 Jumbo, 36 AJ, and 36 Jumbo35 (J-35, Trojan)

Jumbo3s.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

That's him all right.

Gary has always said that guitar was (1) BRW and (2) a prototype. When I ask him why he said it was BRW, he quoted a Gibson ad that bragged about "rosewood from Brazil." But that does indeed look like maybe a 34/35 burst, and it is true that the 32 L-2s were indeed BRW. So it is rational, if not proven to my satisfaction, that it is BRW.

However by the time the AJ was put in production in late 1936, the rosewood in use was EIRW -- and remained so through the life of the AJ production. Gary also told me his had two tone bars -- as the vast majority of the prewar AJs did. However ours, which is part of the initial 1936 build, has three tone bars.

So the short version -- whatever that thing is, it has significant feature differences from the actual initial and later production models. I think they are the actual AJs.

Here is a our 35 Jumbo, 36 AJ, and 36 Jumbo35 (J-35, Trojan)

Jumbo3s.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom ,

thank you !!!

those are 3 stunners right there.I have always liked the look of the Trojan I wish gibson would find a good one to reissue !!!

your pictures certainly show why gibsons are fabulous flattops :)

JC

Gibson's Suggested Retail Price for a J-45 Legend is $9,030. The Minimum Advertised Price is $7,199, and dealers will sell for less than that ($5,500, maybe). I'm sure that's what we're looking at here, with the new Legend (presumably) Advanced Jumbo.

Red 333

Archived