Gibson Brands Forums

J 35

JuanCarlosVejar

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I'm not very steeped in the ins and outs of Gibson labeling. This is a production model J35 and not a custom, right?

No, this would be a custom limited edition for CME, an analogue of the Fuller's J-35. How it differs from the regular production J-35? No idea.

-- Bob R

Looks to be an Adirondack top with aged toner in the finish. Odd that the nut was spec'd black Tusq(?)I'm really curious about the stock one coming out though as the number of tone bars and scalloping or lack thereof I figure will be the most differentiating features that will distinguish it from my '06 J-50. Maybe body depth will be different too.

Looks to be an Adirondack top with aged toner in the finish. Odd that the nut was spec'd black Tusq(?)...

It looks like the object was to come as close to specs of the Five Star J-35s as Gibson would allow. I would guess they "protected the investment" of Five Star owners by insisting on some minor differences, since that is S.O.P. (Of course, the important difference is that these are regular production line guitars, but Ren built the Five Star tops at home in his workshop using "hand tools". E.g., he cut the braces with his band saw, rather than having a CNC machine at the factory do the job.)

-- Bob R

FYI I was in Sam Ash in Springfield NJ this morning. Saw a new banner J35, blonde with firestripe pg hanging on the wall. Looked great. $1699.

Played it, then played a $300 Epiphone. Sorry to say not all that much difference...

Was this the "new" J35 everyone is so curious about?

What did you not like about it?

Was this the "new" J35 everyone is so curious about?

What did you not like about it?

Well, I was trying to say it was quite gorgeous but the tone was unexceptional... It sounded like most everything hanging there. There was a beat old rosewood/cedar Alvarez Yairi that sounded exceptional for $499...

Now, I don't know what expectations should be...just because it looks cool and beautiful... in my opinion it sounded like any ordinary Gibson new product.

The Sam Ash in Springfield generally has a well taken-care-of and humidified acoustic room. I was hoping someone would have seen and played these new models. I am conflicted - on one hand I want the guitar to be a GAS'd after tone monster, but on the other hand I just recently paid more for a J-50 from Fuller's and I at the same time did NOT want to hear that it was a tone monster. :)

I will try to get to see it on Sunday perhaps - I am nearby. I will try to record it for the forum.

At $1699 new, I really would not expect anything different. You are not going to get a $5,000 sounding instrument for $1700.

I don't know about that.

If you remove the up charge for a burst finish, and consider you can purchase new J45's for $2199 I'd say the pricing is about right for a plain topped J35.

You can buy a new D-18 for right around there.

There's some wiggle room, but it seems about right to me.

Will it sound like a $5,000 guitar? Obviously not because it isn't.

That said, I've heard some $5,000 and up instruments that sounded like doo-doo.

I played 2 today. They are awesome. Better than a 45 standard. Not quite a TV. Great deal IMHO

Arghh- not as awesome, though, as two certain mid-50s J-50s, I'm thinking... (Still dreaming dreams, a week later.)

Music Villa (The Acoustic Letter) has filmed a video review of the new J-35 and will be posting it soon according to their Facebook page.

I can't wait to hear it. I really want this to be a nice sounding Gibson at an attractive price point.

It'll be tough to resist, although Music Villa is firm on the $1699 pricing and they seem to be everywhere else for $100 or more less.

That disappointed me because I really wanted to get one from them, I was really happy with the J45 I purchased there.

It'll be tough to resist, although Music Villa is firm on the $1699 pricing and they seem to be everywhere else for $100 or more less.

That disappointed me because I really wanted to get one from them, I was really happy with the J45 I purchased there.

This has happened to me a number of time too at MV -- they dug their heels in on price for some guitars, and I went elsewhere to find it, or simply took a pass on buying the particular guitar at the time.

To be fair, though, I have also received some outstanding deals from them.

The marketplace is big enough that there is plenty of competition out there, and you should be able to find a deal that suits you.

This has happened to me a number of time too at MV -- they dug their heels in on price for some guitars, and I went elsewhere to find it, or simply took a pass on buying the particular guitar at the time.

To be fair, though, I have also received some outstanding deals from them.

The marketplace is big enough that there is plenty of competition out there, and you should be able to find a deal that suits you.

Agreed.

Archived