Gibson Brands Forums

Zappa SG

RowdyMoon

Zappa was a kicking player. He modded his axes a bit though. I do not want one personally. I think the same about Derek Trucks model as well. I think it is over priced too but I am glad to see Zappa getting some recognition that is going to open up some curiousity to a younger group of players who have never heard of Zappa before. And that Zappa stuff is either going to scare the hell out of them or they will be instant fans!! Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Zappa was a kicking player. He modded his axes a bit though. I do not want one personally. I think the same about Derek Trucks model as well. I think it is over priced too but I am glad to see Zappa getting some recognition that is going to open up some curiousity to a younger group of players who have never heard of Zappa before. And that Zappa stuff is either going to scare the hell out of them or they will be instant fans!! Tim

Hey Tim,I just listened to Rainy day(The tennesee flood).Very tasteful playing.Simular in style to Corey Stevens.Are you playing a stat on that song?Thanks,WRS.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I'm rarely into "signature" guitars. The 2 exceptions, I own, are Gibson's "Lucille"

(which, at the time I bought it new, was 400 dollars less, than a 335, for some odd reason, hence

the "no brainer" purchase, then), and more recently the "Captain Kirk Douglas" SG Custom. Again,

a "no brainer" for a Gibson SG Custom (even without the ebony fingerboard)! In BOTH cases, I couldn't

be more pleased, with my decisions. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

There are two exceptions here, too. First was and still is the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess, and later two of the limited Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs followed me home. Definitely incredible axes.

OK, in case a Les Paul guitar is considered being a Signature instrument, there are some more. As somebody stated a few months ago, Alex Lifeson Les Paul, Peter Green Les Paul, Jimmy Page Les Paul and so on are "Signature Signature" guitars so to say... [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't he have an SG that was never "confirmed" as "real"? I love SG's because for many reasons. One being Zappa.

With an over-saturation of signautre models on the market it is nice to see one for a person who truly deserves to have one named after him. There will never be anyone like him in the music game ever again.

Remakes of the "special" 23-frets "Phoenix" SG never confirmed as a real Gibson are offered on order by a German manufacturer at a very steep price. The neck pickup position is rather different but as exclusive as on the Gibson "Roxy" model, and they even use Honduran mahogany:

http://www.phantom-guitars.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115

Anyway, when thinking about Slash's Kris Derrig Les Paul copy later remade by Gibson, I think Gibson could do the like for Frank Zappa, too.

• 3 weeks later...

With an over-saturation of signautre models on the market it is nice to see one for a person who truly deserves to have one named after him. There will never be anyone like him in the music game ever again.

Absolutely. I miss him. Was listening to Roxy & Elsewhere on the way to work this morning.

Saw Dweez in 2012, Amazing. Can you imagine all the great gear and tapes and footage he must be able to get his hands on. Stuff we will never be able to see or hear.

All of Frank's surviving guitars (including the Hendrix Strat) and amps, effects etc are stored in the Zappa house. There's a book titled Zappa's Gear by Mick Ekers due out very soon which will document it all.

Meanwhile it's all here: http://www.zappasgear.com/

Archived