Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les Paul would you recommend me?

Apotefromenos

My options are: Studio, Standard, Standard Faded and Classic

(Unfortunately) I have only played the Studio without distortion. I really loved its tone and the the 50's neck (probably because I play classical guitar for 7 years).

My favorite style of music is metal (and specifically thrash metal) so I want a guitar with good bass and treble distorted sound. However, this doesn't mean that this guitar will be used only for metal. I like many genres (blues, jazz, classic rock, punk, alternative) but metal is simply my favorite. With this in mind, which one would you suggest to buy and why?

PS: I will play all of them, but I just want some opinions first...

My options are: Studio' date=' Standard, Standard Faded and Classic

(Unfortunately) I have only played the Studio without distortion. I really loved its tone and the the 50's neck (probably because I play classical guitar for 7 years).

My favorite style of music is metal (and specifically thrash metal) so I want a guitar with good bass and treble distorted sound. However, this doesn't mean that this guitar will be used only for metal. I like many genres (blues, jazz, classic rock, punk, alternative) but metal is simply my favorite. With this in mind, which one would you suggest to buy and why?

PS: I will play all of them, but I just want some opinions first...[/quote']

BFG!!! It's not on your options list, but that's the one I'd choose. After that, I'd pick the dark 'Vintage Mahogany' Studio.

Either way, I'd throw a Gibson "Dirty Fingers" pickup in the bridge and be done with it. Super hot metal tones from the bridge and smooth creamy tones from the neck.

I guess it all depends on your budget and the sound of each guitar you try. You have to try as many as possible in each of the lines you narrowed down in your list. I love my Les Paul Standard, but my buddy ended up falling in love with a Studio. Both great sounding guitars but at different ends of the monitary spectrum.

If you like Metal' date=' wouldnt a shredders neck be more practical for you?

The 60's slim taper is a close as Gibson gets to that genre.

[/quote']

No, actually... As I told you I have been playing classical guitar for many years and given the fact that I have big fingers, when I played the Studio it suited more than any other shred-like guitar I tested. Plus, I have seen many guitarist play fast licks on a 50's neck and even shred! :-$

Well, the Les Paul Standard faded is a really great all-style guitar. It also has a flamed maple top =P~ . Or maybe before going for the Les Paul try the other types of Gibsons. Les Pauls are truly great guitars, but man, those SG's are pretty irresistable. They're light weight and they can play blues very well. And add in some distortion, and you have a guitar that screams. But SG's aren't used alot for metal (although they can be great for metal, think of Judas Priest and Tony Iommi). They're really both great guitars, and you should try them both, but honestly, you'll probably fall in love with the Les Paul.

Standard, Standard, Standard!! BB Pros = best of both worlds.

Studio's have the 490/498T combo, so a heavier sound.

LP Classics have ceramic 496/500T PUPs...this is probably your guitar right here.

Like somebody else suggested, try a BFG. Sounds great.

If you're a skid, you definitely have to give the 60s neck a try before you buy anything.

IMG_3162.jpg

I still have mine. Why I don't know

Hey Mark--

Man, there is something about those old guitars that we learned on. I still have my Japanese-made Epiphone EA-250 (the poorman's version of a block inlay 330). My parents still had it at their place in Wisconsin, and I got it out of their house this past Christmas and strung it up when I got home. The neck is waaaay too narrow. I can hardly play it, but it was probably an excellent starter for a kid with smaller hands, and it still has fantastically low action on the strings.

And you know, like your Hondo, those old finishes on foreign guitars hold up really well. The cherry finish on the EA-250 is still very clear and very bright, and none of the natural wood has darkened through the clear finish on the neck. It is in almost all respects a weak guitar, but it is not a terrible guitar, and it still has a lot of memories for me. I also am impressed at the binding on these '70s-era foreign guitars: often triple-ply, with bound necks and headstocks. There was a real aesthetic sensibility in early imports that quickly changed too often into gaudy garbage by the '80s. It's been great to see Epiphone and the foreign-made Fenders of late: they are clearly getting a better sense of good guitars again over the last decade or so.

I remember seeing those Hondos as well when I started, but I couldn't even afford a Hondo when I was young. I spent the princely sum of $75.00 for my EA-250, and that was only after one of my dad's friends talked the guy down from $100. I spent more on the lead pickup that I had installed in it years later.

Ignatius

I gotta tell ya. I restrung it for my daughter last month and Its not bad. Low action plays fast. I do have a bad jack, it keeps cutting in and out. I don't

know if I want to put any money into it.

Thanks for interest in my Hondo, maybe I should put it on E-bay as a Gibson Hondo Elitist. Whatta thing starting bid $10.000.00

Mark

Hey Ignatius- Post a pic of that 250 if you can?

I will. I need to find my camera (still missing months after the move down here to Chicago), and then I need to learn how to post pictures to the forum. I think there is a thread on that somewhere.

I also am looking for a place to donate instruments. Between me and my wife, we have a few instruments that are not bad but also are not good enough to resell to people honestly unless they know what they are getting. They could be good for starters at a local school, though, or something like that.

Sorry to all for hijacking this thread. I promise to post pictures in a new thread back in the hollow-body forum where I belong. Blame it all on Mark, though. He is always leading me into evil.

Ignatius

Maybe you guys could help me here. I play alot of Classic Rock and a bit of the new heavy stuff. I cannot decide, either a Classic Antique in Vintage Sunburst or Standard Faded in Tobacco. Any ideas? From what Ive heard the Faded's tone is a bit too bright but I love the colour. Id love to buy both hehe.

Which one is most likely to stick around for longer the Classic Antique or Faded? (Im think Antique..since its a very unique guitar to the rest...)

Maybe you guys could help me here. I play alot of Classic Rock and a bit of the new heavy stuff. I cannot decide' date=' either a Classic Antique in Vintage Sunburst or Standard Faded in Tobacco. Any ideas? From what Ive heard the Faded's tone is a bit too bright but I love the colour. Id love to buy both hehe.

Which one is most likely to stick around for longer the Classic Antique or Faded? (Im think Antique..since its a very unique guitar to the rest...)[/quote']

I know I always reply to when you ask that, and it's probably getting kinda annoying. GET THE STANDARD FADED! If the classic antique came in a faded finish, I would probably be telling you to get that, but it doesn't. Faded necks are just better than hi-gloss. And if you don't like the faded finish, you can always use a good polish to make it hi-gloss. But I think you will like faded finishes. They have faster necks and more natural feeling bodies. Just remember that if you get a standard faded and you don't like the pickups you can change them, and if you don't like the finish you can change it. But if you buy a classic antique and you don't like the pickups you can still change them, but if you don't like the finish, well, that won't be easy or cheap to change.

Maybe you guys could help me here. I play alot of Classic Rock and a bit of the new heavy stuff. I cannot decide' date=' either a Classic Antique in Vintage Sunburst or Standard Faded in Tobacco. Any ideas? From what Ive heard the Faded's tone is a bit too bright but I love the colour. Id love to buy both hehe.

Which one is most likely to stick around for longer the Classic Antique or Faded? (Im think Antique..since its a very unique guitar to the rest...)[/quote']

The LP Std Faded has been Dc'd by Gibson. Get whichever is available.

Archived