Gibson Brands Forums

Experience with Blackheart Amps?

elessar820

I was wondering who here (if anyone) has any experience with Blackheart Amps. I'm thinking of getting a Handsome Devil and no one in my area seems to carry them and will not order one without a down payment. So I was wondering if anyone could share some experience. I play mainly rock and some metal, like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Deftones, Metallica to name a few. The clips I've seen and heard on You Tube were pretty impressive, but it's not the same. I'm using a Fender Super Champ XD right now, which I do really like, but I'd rather have something that's all tube and that I can some drive from the amp itself and not from an amp model. Any opinions, likes dislikes? Thanks.

I have only heard good things about them... Surfpup owns (or used to own) one, and he only said good things. Maybe he'll post here, if not, try searching in the forum, he asked someone else's questoins about it a while back, and I think he even posted a video (not sure about that, it could have been a video of an orange tiny t)

I've got the Killer Ant and the matching 1x10 cabinet. I'm kind of having a hard time deciding what I think of the amp it has good tone (but get's a little muddy) and a great look and feel (Very Easy to use a one knob amp) but it's also very limited in some ways. I plan on doing a few simple mods similar in scope to what many do with the Epi Valve Junior to give it a tone control and a pull boost . I also think i will swap out the 12AY7 with a lower gain 12AU7 to help capture overdrive on the small amp then it really should be a Killer Ant.

IMG_2082.jpg

Yea I'm curious too... I've been thinkin of running one of their little baby heads thru my Marshall 1960 cab.

I've done it, it wont keep up with some drummers, but if you mike it and run it through the system, it would be pretty sweet!

but ease up on the Bass knob, it can get muddy pretty quick

for the price, you wont find nothing better, my head (or as my bro would say his head) is a great lil 5 watts of goodness, i have the head with treble, bass, and volume. not just the volume type. the great thing about it is its a direct single path so you are getting pure tone. plus its easy to carry and compact so you can put it in cubby when not in use.

For the price, the Blackheart stuff is pretty great. I don't have the Handsome Devil, though. (It was high on my list until I ordered a custom 18 watt Marshall clone.) I've had the 5 watt Little Giant for about a year. I replaced the output transformer and tubes in mine. It helped. I have some clips of the smaller Blackheart here, Elessar, if you are interested.

The Little Giant is still around, BTW, Thunder. I was about to eBay it, but have decided instead to take it to my classroom with a little cabinet. Since we're an arts school, I can pretty much rock out whenever I want.

Thanks guys. I'm definitely thinking about the Handsome Devil head and Blackheart 12 inch cab. I was leaning towards the combo, but I figure later on down the road I figure I can get a different cab or add a second one for a little mini stack. Besides, it's cooler looking anyway. I have a Super Champ XD now, it's a nice little amp, but I'd rather have something that has more of an EQ (there's no mid range control) and a regular drive control. The models are cool and sound pretty good, but it's not as good as a regular over driven amp. It didn't sound so hot with my Boss DS1 and Ibanez TS7 and my Weeping Demon Wah. Thanks again, it's tough to make a decision on something that I can't get my hands on just to try out.

Archived