Gibson Brands Forums

2012 SG Standard Limited Case Candy

Kirk -

Hi all -

I just purchased a used 2012 SG Standard Limited Vintage Sunburst. It was listed as "grade 2 - gently used" as opposed to "grade 1 - mint". Honestly, I looked over the entire instrument, case, etc. and haven't been able to find single flaw. The instrument plays and sounds amazing, and the pickguard still had the plastic film on it, which wasn't even marred. From what I was able to tell, the guitar didn't even appear to have been played, so I'm wondering exactly what it was that made them consider to be a grade 2 instead of grade 1.

The only other thing I can come up with is maybe something is missing? Included were the guitar, the hardshell case, a truss rod wrench in a ziplock bag, a paper slip that says "inspected by #2", Gibson USA owner's manual, a Gibson quality checklist and a dessicant bag of "drierite". Does anyone own this guitar and know of something else that should have come with it?

Thanks!

I own one. Just bought it a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like you got everything that i did with mine. These are great guitars. Mine is the aged cherry and it's beautiful! I did a setup on it and it plays and sounds great. Post a few pics if you can. Enjoy your new sg! :)

Edit: Did you get a warranty registration card? I did with mine and it's the only thing you didn't mention. Did you buy it from an internet seller? If so, it might just be that it went out to someone and they returned it for some reason. Maybe they didn't like the baked maple fretboard and sent it back. Their loss is your gain.

I own one. Just bought it a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like you got everything that i did with mine. These are great guitars. Mine is the aged cherry and it's beautiful! I did a setup on it and it plays and sounds great. Post a few pics if you can. Enjoy your new sg! :)

Edit: Did you get a warranty registration card? I did with mine and it's the only thing you didn't mention. Did you buy it from an internet seller? If so, it might just be that it went out to someone and they returned it for some reason. Maybe they didn't like the baked maple fretboard and sent it back. Their loss is your gain.

Congrats on your purchase.

No I didn't receive a warranty card, I'd wondered about that. I did register it online, and it didn't reject it, so I guess the serial number hadn't been claimed.

I purchased the SG from Musician's Friend. Funny thing, I don't know how many of this particular model were made, but there is a notable lack of them for sale, new or used. Initially, I found a couple of places that apparently had sold them at one point, but no longer had any. Musician's Friend had 2 used ones which were the only SG Standard Limiteds I was able to find anywhere; the one I purchased (Vintage Burst, Grade 2) and also a Cream, Grade 3.

I can't really imagine somebody not liking the baked maple. I'd never even heard of it before shopping this instrument, but I have to admit, I'm a fan.

I actually made up a spreadsheet from the Gibson's SG page, of all 56 models that were "current". This was the closest match to my shopping list, so I knew I had to find one. I'm glad I spent the time. This one's a keeper. Definitely a keeper.

Here are a few pics of my new baby.

Thanks for the info.

Kirk

post-53880-069835200 1361753715_thumb.jpg

post-53880-036766200 1361753724_thumb.jpg

post-53880-033952900 1361753739_thumb.jpg

post-53880-047474900 1361753791_thumb.jpg

post-53880-097818900 1361753798_thumb.jpg

No I didn't receive a warranty card, I'd wondered about that. I did register it online, and it didn't reject it, so I guess the serial number hadn't been claimed.

I purchased the SG from Musician's Friend. Funny thing, I don't know how many of this particular model were made, but there is a notable lack of them for sale, new or used. Initially, I found a couple of places that apparently had sold them at one point, but no longer had any. Musician's Friend had 2 used ones which were the only SG Standard Limiteds I was able to find anywhere; the one I purchased (Vintage Burst, Grade 2) and also a Cream, Grade 3.

I can't really imagine somebody not liking the baked maple. I'd never even heard of it before shopping this instrument, but I have to admit, I'm a fan.

I actually made up a spreadsheet from the Gibson's SG page, of all 56 models that were "current". This was the closest match to my shopping list, so I knew I had to find one. I'm glad I spent the time. This one's a keeper. Definitely a keeper.

Thanks for the info.

Kirk

That Sunburst looks very nice and very unique

That is a beautiful guitar, congratulations! Thanks for posting the pics. I really like the sunburst.

There were quite a few dealers with these available in 2012, but as you said, they are very hard to find now. It appears that both of us were lucky to find one. I bought mine from zZounds a couple of weeks ago and they have none for sale now. The 2013 standard has replaced this.

I like the baked maple as well. I actually prefer it to rosewood. So much so that I purchased 4 new Gibsons since this past August. All of them with baked maple fretboards. These SG's play and sound phenomenal! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info.

Kirk

That is a good looking guitar!!! Taking a look at your picture of the fret board, it looks nice and is the first time I have saw a close up of the baked maple. It looks alot like rosewood on yours. I see alot of pictures of the baked maple that looks alot lighter than the one you have. I also notice it looks like your radius is smaller than the radius on my SG. Maybe it is me but it just looks like it has a more rounded fretboard shape like a fender as opposed to the standard 12" gibson radius. Maybe it is just me, Tim

I have one too, bought in May of 2012. (Also aged cherry finish)

Nothing really for case candy beyond what yours had.

anyway, congrats. they really are excellent guitars.

Baked maple is a non issue for me, but I admit a bit skeptical at first.

The guitar sounds absolutely killer straight into any of the amps I put it through.

That is a good looking guitar!!! Taking a look at your picture of the fret board, it looks nice and is the first time I have saw a close up of the baked maple. It looks alot like rosewood on yours. I see alot of pictures of the baked maple that looks alot lighter than the one you have. I also notice it looks like your radius is smaller than the radius on my SG. Maybe it is me but it just looks like it has a more rounded fretboard shape like a fender as opposed to the standard 12" gibson radius. Maybe it is just me, Tim

Baked maple is a nice looking wood. I suppose rosewood is as good a descriptor as any, but sitting next to another guitar of mine that actually has a rosewood fretboard, you definitely wouldn't mistake one for the other. The baked maple is pretty dark, but not quite as dark as rosewood. The grain, at least on mine, is pretty close. Color-wise, rosewood is dark chocolate whereas baked maple is milk chocolate.

Baked maple is used on 11 guitars (20% of Gibson's SG models) ranging from the "SG Elegant Quilt Top" at $5,551 MSRP, to the "Melody Maker SG" at $829 MSRP. It isn't used on any of the entry-level instruments. If they're using it on a $5k+ guitar, that speaks to me that they take it pretty seriously.

Per Gibson's specs, the fretboard radius is the standard 12". In order to show detail, I took the photo extremely close to the fretboard and with the lens fully zoomed out so that the camera could focus. My camera zoomed out is actually considered wide-angle, which causes a bit of a fish-eye effect. If you look carefully at the lowest fret in the photo, it actually appears to bow downwards slightly; likewise the upper frets are bowed upwards, but it's not as noticeable because you expect a degree of curve there, it's just exaggerated. In real life, the fretboard is pretty flat.

I have a MM SG and a SG RI61 fade with BM. Baked maple may look closer to rosewood but it sounds & feels more like ebony. Rosewood is kind of course and baked maple is smooth. The more I oil my baked maple boards the darker they get. The one on my MM is OK, but the RI board is stella, that guitar plays like butter, the board is almost too smooth. From the first time I tried BM I though it was a great material. Some people will knock it just because... they loss. ENJOY

Fantastic! I got one in that color at the beginning of the year. They don't really come with much of anything in the way of case candy. Just the normal paperwork and a truss rod wrench. As stated, they were repalced wiht the 2013 standards, which I like better for a number of features, but I'm not in a rush to buy another as this discontinuation allowed me to pick up a second 2012 SG at a nice price at the end of the year. Congrats on your find.

Archived