Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L5s

ErikC

Hello!

It's an all-maple guitar - even the cavity cover is made of maple, instead of plastic. It is the solid body version of the L5 jazz guitar. Very heavy. It was offered with PAF-style humbuckers (T-tops, Super Humbuckers?) or with Les Paul low-impedance stacked humbucker pickups. Signature version of the guitar with only one humbucker appeared in the 80s for Rolling Stones guitarists (both Richards, Wood).

It's probably the best guitar Gibson ever made - as far as I am concerned. :)

Cheers... Bence

I had a HB Version but have played both HB and Lo Imp versions and compared side by side.

My HB version was extremely unbalanced (neck heavy) and the neck was COLD - no matter how long I played it - it was COLD. The Gold Plated PU's on mine were "potted" - non removable covers.

Sound wise I prefered the Lo Imp - but that's me - CLEAN sounds.

Kevin Peak (SKY) had 2 PU and 3 PU L5s.

2 PU:

3 PU:

Both:

Do you know more (sound etc) about this strange solid body guitar, the L5s, its shows nice, but I never played on it and are interested about expirience of others

I think you'd get better results for this and your other posts in one of the other sections.

This is the Bass Forum.

Do you know more (sound etc) about this strange solid body guitar, the L5s, its shows nice, but I never played on it and are interested about expirience of others

Oh, hell ya! You betcha, love this guitar, wish Gibson would reissue it and make it available Left Handed. First saw it on the album cover to Grand Funk Railroad's "Caught In The Act" as played by Mark Farner. I know Pat Martino has also played one. They really are stunning visually and sound awesome as played by those two cats I mentioned. Yup, Gibson seriously needs to reissue this guitar.

Sorry to all, I know this space is for Bass, however any opportunity to chat about this most wonderful guitar, I'm gonna jump on it. In fact, I made mention of it on the "You can have any new Gibson you want" thread by Daveinspain over on The Gibson Lounge.

Perhaps we could persuade a Moderator to move this thread to a more appropriate place?

This really was mine (sorry about the quality I had to scan from a prehistoric 6x4):

Gibson%20L5S.jpg

I've come close to biting on a low impedance version a few times in the last ten years, but I have a problem with worn gold hardware. You look at the gold wrong & it looks like crap. I've had the same issue with the Les Paul Personals I've come across. I had an estimate to replate the hardware on one that was on ebay a while back & it was quite expensive......... [crying]

I've come close to biting on a low impedance version a few times in the last ten years, but I have a problem with worn gold hardware. You look at the gold wrong & it looks like crap. I've had the same issue with the Les Paul Personals I've come across. I had an estimate to replate the hardware on one that was on ebay a while back & it was quite expensive......... [crying]

I had the Plating re-done on this one and it was difficult more than expensive because the PU's are potted. Same goes for the Lo Imp PUs.

Tonally, the Lo Imp version was much more in line with what I was looking for.

DG

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 74 that I bought as a teenager in 76. I was working for the summer as a treecutter on the Canadian border in upstate NY. I spent 2 full weeks gross pay to buy it used in a local music store for $325. No one knew what the hell it was. I played it as my primary until about 10 years ago. I started using a Les Paul instead because I didn't want to have to get it refretted.

Here it is

post-54715-019891300 1364223015_thumb.jpg

Archived