Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheers from Holland

#1 User is offline   Basic5 

• Group: Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Howdy!

My name is Ron, I live in Holland and I am a very proud owner of an old Basic5 (Gibson era):

Posted Image

but there is a but...

I am trying hard to change the old pickups that a previous owner has changed to Seymour Duncan back to the original curved top Bartolini's

-I have watched Ebay for some time, but no succes
-the official (Gibson) dealer says they can't get them
-I wrote to Bartolini and they say that will sell only to Gibson
-I wrote Gibson, but it seems that the office is on holiday, because no reply yet

so... what options are there left?

Thanks for helping me out!

Ron

#2 User is offline   Basic5 

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

yeah... I got a reply from the department Repair and restoration! [smile]

Their reaction was to contact Allparts.com [confused]

I tried this of course, because maybe there is a connection between Gibson and Allparts. but no... They have NEVER sold such kind pickups (round top pickups) just the regular Bartolini pickups that you find in any custom shop.

I asked again to the department Repair and Restoration to take my question serious. I assume that this department should know that Tobias is a Gibson product since 1992...?

If anybody has a better idea, let me know please!

cheers!

#3 User is offline   CustomerService 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostBasic5, on 15 March 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

yeah... I got a reply from the department Repair and restoration! [smile]

Their reaction was to contact Allparts.com [confused]

I tried this of course, because maybe there is a connection between Gibson and Allparts. but no... They have NEVER sold such kind pickups (round top pickups) just the regular Bartolini pickups that you find in any custom shop.

I asked again to the department Repair and Restoration to take my question serious. I assume that this department should know that Tobias is a Gibson product since 1992...?

If anybody has a better idea, let me know please!

cheers!

Unfortunately, these are not available from Gibson.
Gibson Customer Service
1-800-4GIBSON
service@gibson.com

Sign up now to receive the latest news from Gibson http://www.gibson.com/emailsignup.aspx

#4 User is offline   Basic5 

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hello Customer Service!

Thank you for your reply.

I'm surprised that you tell me that these pickups are not available from Gibson?
Gibson makes the Tobias basses? Here is your link:Tobias bass from Gibson
The pickup that is showed on this Tobias bass is the round top Bartolini pickup that I am after

Bartolini said to me that they sell only to you, so what others options are left to change my bass back to the original? (I mean not buying the general customizing pickups as you suggested before)

Thank you for your cooperation

#5 User is offline   abarson 

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostBasic5, on 17 March 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

Hello Customer Service!

Thank you for your reply.

I'm surprised that you tell me that these pickups are not available from Gibson?
Gibson makes the Tobias basses? Here is your link:Tobias bass from Gibson
The pickup that is showed on this Tobias bass is the round top Bartolini pickup that I am after

Bartolini said to me that they sell only to you, so what others options are left to change my bass back to the original? (I mean not buying the general customizing pickups as you suggested before)

Thank you for your cooperation

I'll not try to speak for anyone else, but I do recognize that some of the older parts may not be made anymore, and that replacement options may be limited. You can't get DAF parts too easily anymore, right?

#6 User is offline   Basic5 

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

View Postabarson, on 15 May 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

I'll not try to speak for anyone else, but I do recognize that some of the older parts may not be made anymore, and that replacement options may be limited. You can't get DAF parts too easily anymore, right?

Maybe it is your assumption that I am after the earliest Bartolini pickups?? The round top pickups are still made on the Tobias basses that are sold today (pls take a look at the link above in my earlier reply). Bartolini says they sell these pickups only direct to gibson.

I can understand that Gibson doesn't want that these pickups shine on all kids of non-gibson basses, but I've shown my bass, my serial number and can deliver every proof that I own this bass. What's the problem of getting my bass in original shape then?

(for your information: I wish that these pickups that I need were as easy to get as the DAF parts!! DAF parts link
I tried all possibilities, wrote several mails, but the communication with Gibson/Tobias is ... well let's say that I wouldn't treat my customers like that)

#7 User is offline   abarson 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostBasic5, on 16 May 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

Maybe it is your assumption that I am after the earliest Bartolini pickups?? The round top pickups are still made on the Tobias basses that are sold today (pls take a look at the link above in my earlier reply). Bartolini says they sell these pickups only direct to gibson.

I can understand that Gibson doesn't want that these pickups shine on all kids of non-gibson basses, but I've shown my bass, my serial number and can deliver every proof that I own this bass. What's the problem of getting my bass in original shape then?

(for your information: I wish that these pickups that I need were as easy to get as the DAF parts!! DAF parts link
I tried all possibilities, wrote several mails, but the communication with Gibson/Tobias is ... well let's say that I wouldn't treat my customers like that)

I just corresponded with Gibson Customer Support regarding getting a replacement for my Growler's preamps. In short, Gibson is not doing business with Bartolini anymore. If you're still in hot pursuit, you'll need to revert back to Bartolini.
Aside from ebay, I would recommend monitoring the classified section of the various bass player forums, such as www.talkbass.com , www.basschat.co.uk , www.uglybassplayer.com , www.harmonycentral.com etc.

Good luck!

#8 User is offline   Basic5 

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

I just corresponded with Gibson Customer Support regarding getting a replacement for my Growler's preamps. In short, Gibson is not doing business with Bartolini anymore. If you're still in hot pursuit, you'll need to revert back to Bartolini.
Aside from ebay, I would recommend monitoring the classified section of the various bass player forums, such as www.talkbass.com , www.basschat.co.uk , www.uglybassplayer.com , www.harmonycentral.com etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply Abarson, but my information is different than yours. As far as I know the Growlers are produced until 2009, the Basic 5, Classic and Signature series are still in production. On all these basses are the pickups that I am after. Bartolini delivers only to Gibson (this is what they told me in Febr. 2013)

I am searching on the sites that you mentioned for quite some time, but they are very hard to find, next to that some sellers are afraid to sell outside the US. Still I am saddened by the fact that Gibson won't sell me a new set of the pickups they have in their storage. But... maybe someone from Gibson is following this thread!! :-)

have a good day!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users