Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone ever cut the top off of their Epiphone headstock?

Westly West

Has anyone ever cut the top off of their Epiphone headstock?

I know there are a lot of purists here but I just cant handle that huge Victorian headstone on top of my new/used Epi es/175.

I'm going to cut it down to just above the tuners...!

Anyone else done this???

Any helpful suggestions?

(Other than suggesting that I don't do it that is...)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'll agree that there is a little more "real estate" there than I would design in, I think you're opening a can of worms here. Was the plan to just cut straight across or were you going to try to match the open-book look? The black veneer (or finish, anyway) on the face of the head stock is very fragile and will easily chip when cutting or sanding. Cutting it will also leave a raw edge at the top, that you will have to match colors on. And obviously, you will loose the "Epiphone". Is it just the looks? Or are you having a problem with "head dive"?

So, let me clarify, are you asking.......

whether anyone has ever cut the top off their Epiphone headstock?

Sorry, couldn't resist. To answer the question, no I haven't.....I like my Wildkat just the way it is. [biggrin]

I've only seen it done on Jewish Epiphones.....

[biggrin]

I know just enough about a lot of things to be dangerous, but my racing background (as well as fooling with my guitars) has taught me the meaning of "unintended consequences" if you get my drift. I personally, would leave well enough alone, but that's just me.

Ive seen it. One of our local shops had one for sale that had the headstock cut. It was not cut to look like a Gibson but just cut flat below the Brand just above the tuners. It was actually a very nice guitar and didnt look bad at all, but I would e a little afraid to do it myself.

So, if you hate that headstock so much, WHY did you buy it??! :-k:rolleyes:

This is my point! As most Epi owners bought a discount Asian built guitar wishing it were a Gibson, it's NOT!

The next thing the OP is going to want to know is where to buy a "Gibson" headstock overlay.

If you would have worked a little harder and saved a little longer, you could have bought a REAL Gibson!

Another example of the "Instant Gratification Generation"! Stop it, you're ruining my golden years.

There are reasons to consider it. The mass of wood in the headstock absorbs string energy hence reducing sustain. I know luthiers who deliberately design small headstocks because of this.

Also, if you reshape the headstock into more of an "A" shape, the tuners will be more in line with nut slots thus reducing side-to-side string angle at the nut and the tendency of strings to stick in the slots.

I might do it to my dot when I get around to replacing the tuners but it's not something I'd want to recommend exactly. This is major surgery you should only consider if you've got some luthier skills or if you've designated the instrument as an experimental guitar to try stuff out on.

babymama003.jpg

Don't tell me, you were trying to do what the OP suggested but didn't quite get it right first time, so you thought "I'll just try that again a little further down, see if it looks any better", repeat the process a few times and then "****, I ran out of headstock!"

Why did you buy it - if you don't like it

Maybe because he wanted a Gibson ES-175 but couldn't afford it or justify the expense. I tend to agree with him, I don't care much for the long headstock when used on the "Gibson model" guitars. I bought the Epi ES-355 and if they had made a version with the shorter Epi headstock like the LPs have I would have bought it. But they don't. I would never do it myself, but I have often thought about whether it would be possible to reshape the headstock to be shorter (while keeping the Epi logo). I have seen people redo their Gretsch Electromatic headstocks to be more like the proline headstocks and they look pretty good.

Did you see his member profile pick? He's a wild man! Nothing wrong with cutting it off. Quit telling him to buy what he wants. Maybe what he wants is to this particular guitar with headstock sawed off. As for telling him to save and putting down his generation? Maybe he's rich 20 year old tech startup guy and has enough cash to toss around, thereby buying whatever he wants and cutting it up. I see tons of people in dallas putting sanders to their guitars and making them "relics" and "vintage." Sure, it's not my thing, but what's so bad about it? I feel some peeps are a little critical of a guy who just asked for help.

On another note, a cheap miter saw could make the cut ur probably looking for.

Good luck, and post pics. I wanna see this!

Adam

While I agree it is a larger headstock than neccessary, I do kinda like it. I especially like the simple "date palm", "crown", "tulip" whatever the inlay is on the ES-175 reissue. I like the "Vines" too, but already have that on my Sheraton II, Emperor, and Regent (that's a lot of vines!).

-bhh

Interesting, that the original poster, hasn't been back! Maybe we "scared him off" (unlikely),

or, he just likes to 'stir things up' a bit, with provocative questions? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Possibly a troll....don't feed the trolls or they just become a nuisance [rolleyes] (which in this case is exactly what they are looking for) #-o

ArGo [biggrin]

My take on sustain is that every ounce of wood contributes to increased sustain and a woodier tone. A lighter guitar has reduced mass. It's usually the neck angle that changes sustain. Higher angles = increased sustain from the pressure on the nut. I like the wood tones to be reflected in my output, which is why I generally lower my pickups and crank the amp a little higher. When the wood absorbs the tone, it returns into the strings as it resonates through the body. Heavier guitars sound better to me.

I wouldn't remove one ounce of wood from my guitar, FWIW.

Archived