Gibson Brands Forums

Just got my new BFG Gator

mighty4th

that's a mighty nice guitar Mighty 4th !!

HNGD !!(belated)

"screaming tunnel" isn't in N.E.Alabama is it? we have one that looks identical on Tredegar Road.

This one is in St. Catharines , Ontario. Legend says if you light a wooden match at night you hear the scream of a girl who was burnt to death by her father in the 1910's.

BFG - I'm not sure Gibson ever came out and said exactly what it meant with the BFG moniker.

But in computer gaming - in the old Doom game - the BFG was the "Big F--king Gun" - the badest, most powerful weapon.

So Gibson was playful with that one.

Okay...totally in the dark about this "BFG" guitar. Is the finish painted on or is it actually scalloped? Oh..uh... what does BFG stand for??

I have heard two possible answers to that Question: 1. Barely finished guitar

2. Ballsy f---ing guitar

Only a Gibson designer knows for sure.

I think that Gator Green is the perfect color match for the BFG reptile scale finish.

Congratulations on your Gator BFG. Much prefer the wooden knobs too.

At the time when I bought a BFG;

The only model was the Gary Moore edition.

No offence to GM, Imo the Sunburst finish on those are not appealing.

I’d stain mine, but why bother, probably be worse off.

There just aren’t enough real green guitars in the world. BFG Gator Green works for me.

I might even like Gibson’s Gecko green, but that’s a tough one, out of production anyway.

You can't go wrong with a BFG. I also own a Gary Moore BFG and it's one of the finest guitars that I have owned. A little pricey in the scheme of things, but if I didn't like the price I didn't have to buy it.

Right before I got my first BFG, I called customer service and asked the man what BFG stood for. His reply " Bad F---ing Guitar " I said " Your joking,right?"

He replied, "No, that is what it stands for."

I got one and kept it for a while. Nice guitar, not bad at all! [thumbup]

• 5 weeks later...

Yup.. thats actually carved into the wood... they are awesome..

and BFG does officially stand for Bearly Finished Guitar (I had a Gary Moore one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys_LY1aCpvg

Here is some info on what BFG stands for. I know the video says barely finished guitar; I was on the factory tour in Memphis on Monday. I asked a guy there what it stands for , he said "big freakin' guitar " with emphasis on freakin so I believe the "barely finished" angle is just for friendly PR. I think the designers mean "Big F@#%$@ing Guitar". Anyway, the tour was fabulous. Fifty minutes long and full of cool stuff.

• 5 years later...

I have a 2011 Gary Moore BFG, love it, I hear a lot of bashing about this guitar, but in my opinion, if you like the style, and finish, you cant go wrong, it plays well and sounds even better.

Archived