Gibson Brands Forums

Northern jumbo

Motherofpearl

I wonder if they just made 65 Truss Rod covers that said "Northern Jumbo", used firestripe guards, and had Ren sign a stack of labels. Brilliant.

That's pretty funny. I can almost picture the custom shop guys sitting around after work downing a few beers and having a good laugh over what kind of new "highly collectible models" they could come up with for as little money as possible. You just have to be able to engrave it on the truss rod cover. How about the "Alberta Jumbo" AJ or for those south of the border the "Sonoran Jumbo" SJ? Actually Sonoran Jumbo has a really nice ring to it.

• 9 months later...

Bumping this thread as I have more information. I'm lucky enough to own one of these, which I purchased in Ottawa back in January 2010. If I remember correctly I paid about $2400 for it. It is a stellar guitar both in sound and playability.

Here are the specs:

The Northern Jumbo is a stunning guitar, both sonically and visually. This unique instrument is easily identified by an engraved truss rod cover carrying the model name, a unique Firestripe pickguard and discrete maple leaf ‘Limited Edition’ decal on the back of the headstock. Designed to be highly collectable, each Northern Jumbo will be shipped with a Certificate of Authenticity from Gibson's Acoustic Division and every instrument includes an interior label signed by master luthier Ren Fergusen.

The Northern Jumbo is made with a solid Sitka spruce top, mahogany neck, back and sides and a rosewood fingerboard. Mother of Pearl parallelogram inlays and traditional binding on the neck and body complete the look of this beautiful instrument. Built as a players' guitar, the Northern Jumbo also features nickel Grover Rotomatic machine heads and an L.R. Baggs pickup system. The Northern Jumbo acoustic guitar is handcrafted at the Gibson Acoustic factory in Bozeman, Montana, and is limited to 65 maximum piece run worldwide.

IIRC, weren't these a special run for Long & McQuade?

The COA says they are exclusive to Yorkville Sound, which I believe is the parent company of Long and McQuade and the Gibson distributor in Canada. They were sold only in Canada but were not exclusive to Long and McQuade. I have seen a couple listed online at other stores. They are pretty rare, obviously. I have received a couple of emails from people interested in buying mine even though it's not for sale and I doubt it ever will be.

There was also a Gibson SG Custom Shop made exclusively for sale in Canada that came with a bottle of maple syrup. No kidding. Edit: here it is.

• 3 months later...

How did this thread re-surface ? , I googled Gibson Northern J-45 , this is what appeared as a result of the search.

Why ? , Long & McQuade has another run of 65 , limited edition , Northern J-45 's .

I bought one and wanted to find / print a spec sheet. Anyone in the know on specs / , species of wood used ? , electronics ?

I dont know how this got bumped up./.. but anyways... to bad Yorkville could not be a little more artistic in what would be a great sellable Limited run acoustic.. just run of the mill stuff.. whats the point..

I dont know how this got bumped up./.. but anyways... to bad Yorkville could not be a little more artistic in what would be a great sellable Limited run acoustic.. just run of the mill stuff.. whats the point..

Not run of the mill , from what I am told . Red Spruce top , upgraded electronics , 30's sunburst finish.

I played it before buying , heavenly !!. It does not look like the maple burst because it is a different model .

I just wanted to confirm some details.

That's how it got bumped up.

You always this positive ?

Not run of the mill , from what I am told . Red Spruce top , upgraded electronics , 30's sunburst finish.

I played it before buying , heavenly !!. It does not look like the maple burst because it is a different model .

I just wanted to confirm some details.

That's how it got bumped up.

You always this positive ?

Yup.. when I see Gibson building 50 varieties of one Model.. it gets boring. all with a COa or a Custom shop decal, maybe its because of that phase of having to many Gibsons over the years.. and seeing what was issued in the 90s to what they present those as today in new models.

Yup.. when I see Gibson building 50 varieties of one Model.. it gets boring. all with a COa or a Custom shop decal, maybe its because of that phase of having to many Gibsons over the years.. and seeing what was issued in the 90s to what they present those as today in new models.

OK , cool

I'm just a little excited about this new guitar , for a couple of reasons , it's new and it's the most expensive guitar I've purchased yet , it's my first Gibson.

I've got lot's of guitars , not all of them have me feeling like this , it's the honeymoon phase.

Speaking of boring , I work for a Harley dealer , been riding them for years , not a lot of new product to speak of from those folks either , other than some flashy paint schemes , the rest is same old stuff.

OK , cool

I'm just a little excited about this new guitar , for a couple of reasons , it's new and it's the most expensive guitar I've purchased yet , it's my first Gibson.

I've got lot's of guitars , not all of them have me feeling like this , it's the honeymoon phase.

Speaking of boring , I work for a Harley dealer , been riding them for years , not a lot of new product to speak of from those folks either , other than some flashy paint schemes , the rest is same old stuff.

Good to see you getting a guitar that you like.. Congrats..

Archived