Gibson Guitar Board: 498t Trembucker? - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

498t Trembucker?

#1 User is offline   Merglet 

• Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I was wondering, because I've heard how good the 498t can sound fully utilized via Alex Lifeson, if the 498t comes in a trembucker variation, aside from his custom Axcess model. I'm looking to replace my bridge 'bucker with the 498t, but don't want to spend the money and find out there's no fit for my strings. I have a strat, but want to mix the best of both worlds, and learned that the trembucker sizing is important.

#2 User is offline   chuckymack 

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Nope. The 498T is a Gibson pickup made for use on Gibson guitars with Gibson-spec string spacing.

#3 User is offline   Merglet 

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

View Postchuckymack, on 04 March 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

Nope. The 498T is a Gibson pickup made for use on Gibson guitars with Gibson-spec string spacing.

Are you sure? I've read elsewhere that the 498t is f-spaced, which is basically the same as a trembucker. Designed a bit wider as far as the magnets go.

#4 User is offline   Ryan H 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

F-spacing is an aesthetic thing. The effect on tone is negligible. The magnetic field on a regular guitar pickup is plenty wide enough to sense strings that are a millimeter or two off-center. If you're OCD about everything lining up perfect, good luck.

-Ryan

#5 User is offline   Merglet 

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostCaroline64, on 05 March 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

F-spacing is an aesthetic thing. The effect on tone is negligible. The magnetic field on a regular guitar pickup is plenty wide enough to sense strings that are a millimeter or two off-center. If you're OCD about everything lining up perfect, good luck.

-Ryan

Nope, not OCD about it. It's the pickup I want, and it's what I'm gonna get. :D

#6 User is offline   CERNUNNOS 

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:48 AM

A "Trembucker" is the Seymour Duncan term for "F - Spaced". And as far as I know, all modern Gibson guitars and pickups are F - Spaced as standard, so you should be fine. :-)

#7 User is offline   Ryan H 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostCERNUNNOS, on 21 March 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

A "Trembucker" is the Seymour Duncan term for "F - Spaced". And as far as I know, all modern Gibson guitars and pickups are F - Spaced as standard, so you should be fine. :-)

Um...no.

Gibson guitars are not F-spaced unless they have a trem (typically a Floyd) with the wider string spacing. F-spaced pickups are generally meant for guitars with vibrato units (Floyd, Vintage-style trem or otherwise). Where do you think the F came from? It's for Fender, the first company to put a vibrato unit on a solidbody guitar, with the different string spacing.

-Ryan

#8 User is offline   CERNUNNOS 

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

Yes, I know where the term came from. But Gibson and Epiphone changed their bridge widths in the 90s. I have purchased many Gibson pickups, 500T, Dirty Fingers etc and they are the same width as my Duncan Trembuckers and dimarzio F-spaced pickups, and wider than standard HBs. The 498T comes as standard on many modern Les-Pauls and SGs etc. meaning it must be F-Spaced.

Even Dimarzio advise of this in their FAQs:
"F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including post-1998 Gibson® and Epiphone® Les Paul®, SG® and semi-hollow guitars) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position." - Dimarizio website.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users