Gibson Brands Forums

WORST Guitar Selling Mistake You've Ever Made?

rossington88

Like the title says: What was the biggest mistake you've ever made? Did you sell your prized amp? Maybe a family heirloom? Hard times force a ridiculously low price?

Personally, my worst mistake was selling a 1991 Gibson Les Paul Standard in WHITE. She was easily the BEST guitar I have ever owned but I sold her as a partial trade in about 2004 because I totally HAD to have an Ace Frehley Les Paul ](*,) (Which USED to be hard to come by... [cursing] Grumbles [cursing] .). It was an incredibly beautiful instrument and the white is evidently extremely hard to come by. To this day, I regret it quite deeply. In fact, I still look around to see if anyone is selling her so I may be able to negotiate for her return; With a sale in the Rhode Island area plus replaced tuners, a blue discoloration between frets 1-5, a busted lock latch and a certain mark below the tailpiece, I would know her if I saw her.

8530750856_9d0a05befa.jpg

What about you? Let's hear 'em!! :-({|=

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selling all of these wonderful items, and my 1968 (Cherry) ES-355 Stereo, at the same time.

This photo, was from 1969...the sale, was about 4 years later! [crying]

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

(1968 Marshall "Major"(200 watt) Full Stack, 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1968 Rickenbacker 360-12string)

[cursing]](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)[cursing]

CB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a painful topic for me. I have owned and traded many Gibson guitars in a long history of playing guitar. I have traded off multiple 335s, 345s, L-5(1), L4(1) and others. Getting rid of classic guitars is a common mistake that guitarists have been making for years. I have never regretted buying a Gibson but regret nearly every guitar that I have traded or sold.

Buy good clean Gibson's, keep them mint as possible and hold on to them despite that urge to trade.

last march i sold a 1914 Gibson L-1 archtop with original case... to a musician in town for the sxsw conference.... he gave me a very nice hunk of money... but i'm the one who sold their soul.... ](*,) :(

not a day goes by i don't remember her.

never again...

Never mind selling mistake, the worst guitar BUYING mistake I made was thinking that a handmade instrument from a local luthier (Leo Crossfield, Crossfield Stringed Instruments), would be a better buy than a factory made Gibson. When he'd completed the instrument, the finish was shocking. It was sent back and he refused all contact with me, keeping the guitar, the £850 deposit and the £650 goodwill payment. Unfortunately we were advised that we were unlikely to get our money back as he has already dissolved 4 businesses and his financial standing was suggested to be in question :-( Take a look at the video, which has photos of it and let me know what you think!

Wow, some toughies here...Charlie Brown, you must have been in a tight spot to sell off those gems! Geoff, I can't believe my eyes...that Crossfield looks like it went through a Sex Pistols tour.

For me, while I do miss a few of the approximately 15 Gibsons I have sold (a gorgeous '68 345 sunburst, and an ebony-topped R7 Les Paul come to mind), my current '11 ES-345 outshines all of them, so I have no nagging regrets in the Gibby department. Memphis, take a bow!

I do miss my Butterscotch Blonde American Series Strat, as it definitely felt and sounded a bit better than the MIM I have now. The MIM is not bad, especially for the price, and could probably be much better with some new electronics. The eBay buyer who bought my American Strat made some BS complaints that add to the regret (a happy/grateful buyer does the opposite, of course).

• 2 weeks later...

I regret selling my Pete Townshend 50th anniversary...I had another SG with p-90's in it and I have always wanted the SG with a meastro and I saw this Robby Krieger 50th ann SG so I sold it to buy the kreiger.....well 6 months later and I still havent "bonded " with the krieger ( just don't like the skinny neck)so I think I'm going to sell it no regrets because it's just not for me....that being said I do have a 2007 GOTW #38 SG on hold for me at the local music store...it has the SG neck I prefer....but dang, I miss the Pete.

Selling all of these wonderful items, and my 1968 (Cherry) ES-355 Stereo, at the same time.

(1968 Marshall "Major"(200 watt) Full Stack, 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1968 Rickenbacker 360-12string)

CB

That photo was taken in 1969? It looks more recent to me.

That photo was taken in 1969? It looks more recent to me.

Yeah, 1969...I was 19, back then. Where DOES the time go??![scared][crying]

It's scanned, from an old "Polariod" that my buddy took.

I sold it all, because my buddy (who took the picture, and was our bass player)

got drafted, to Vietnam. The band broke up, the music scene changed, and I needed

the money, for cameras, and college...I majored in "Photojournalism," back then.

CB

Only thing I have ever sold was my Peavey Odyssey. The model was kind of like Peavey's version of a Les Paul Custom. I sold it to a friend who is taking good care of it. I still own all of my Gibson guitars ever bought. No regrets [biggrin]

Any sale of a Rickenbacker guitar is the worst selling mistake you can ever make ~_^ Which is why they will never be for sale =)

IMG_2124_zpsb3fe3428.jpg

IMG_1838_zpsb9cf25a9.jpg

IMG_2982_zps6b4ec051.jpg

I agree...!!

Ric's are very special...

That 620 is an unusual guitar which appears to be quite rare... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Guest Farnsbarns

The only guitar I've ever sold was my first ever electric (not counting an acoustic that came in a deal where I wanted the amp, I flipped the guitar the next day). I got 15 quid for my first guitar in a trade in. I regret it because it would be cool to have my first but it really was s#it.

Edit: I can't believed I posted this, talk about a mad moment, I forgot I sold my first LP to fund a reissue. No regrets really, great guitar but I like the reissue better.

Some regret on trading my first LP which was a Goldtop, traded for a brand new 175, which I only had for about a year. On my third LP since that first one, and probably should have just kept it. I was never that keen on the way Goldtops looked, but the neck and the action were unbelievable on that one. [cursing] [cursing]

• 1 month later...

Never mind selling mistake, the worst guitar BUYING mistake I made was thinking that a handmade instrument from a local luthier (Leo Crossfield, Crossfield Stringed Instruments), would be a better buy than a factory made Gibson. When he'd completed the instrument, the finish was shocking. It was sent back and he refused all contact with me, keeping the guitar, the £850 deposit and the £650 goodwill payment. Unfortunately we were advised that we were unlikely to get our money back as he has already dissolved 4 businesses and his financial standing was suggested to be in question :-( Take a look at the video, which has photos of it and let me know what you think!

That's a real horror story!!! Many thanks for the warning, it's like all your nightmares rolled into one. [scared]

• 1 month later...

CB

I like that CB

Archived